10 Doomsday trends America can’t survive

Latest news, scientific discoveries and world events.

Re: 10 Doomsday trends America can’t survive

Postby panda on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:57 pm

As a side-note, Wallerstein is oft-studied in undergraduate international political economy courses as an example neomarxist. When I last checked, I remember the weight of empirical research was against his theories.

Re: Venus Project. I don't trust it at all, but then, I don't think I understand it either.
panda

Postby MissTomorrow on Tue May 03, 2011 11:39 pm

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Private property yes, but the banking system?

surely some people will always want to borrow money or save it some where safe. even the super rich still use banks, so if EVERYONE is efectively rich in the future there will stil be a need for banking. I dont want to managall my own finances myself & have to keep all my own money hidden at home!
MissTomorrow

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Wed May 04, 2011 1:38 am

Wouldn't the need/concept of money evaporate in a superabundance system?
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Prolite on Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Wouldn't the need/concept of money evaporate in a superabundance system?

No because money is a value system and will always serve as a method for exchanging ideas and values. In a Star Trek world or something similar, money would still serve as a system of exchanging things for value such as intellectual property, human capital, creative output, and the like. What would money buy in this type of world? It would buy things of value of course - - just not the things that are associated with today. The biggest thing would be energy, and probably extremely rare materials in the universe that can't be manufactured. I don't know what these rare materials would be. Maybe some rare type of dark matter or maybe access to a worm hole. It could also be human ideas such as music, art, and theater. Have you ever thought about buying a planet, or an entire solar system? :roll:
Prolite

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Thu May 05, 2011 1:55 am

Prolite wrote:
ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Wouldn't the need/concept of money evaporate in a superabundance system?

No because money is a value system and will always serve as a method for exchanging ideas and values. In a Star Trek world or something similar, money would still serve as a system of exchanging things for value such as intellectual property, human capital, creative output, and the like. What would money buy in this type of world? It would buy things of value of course - - just not the things that are associated with today. The biggest thing would be energy, and probably extremely rare materials in the universe that can't be manufactured. I don't know what these rare materials would be. Maybe some rare type of dark matter or maybe access to a worm hole. It could also be human ideas such as music, art, and theater. Have you ever thought about buying a planet, or an entire solar system? :roll:

Thanks, the truly scarce things.
ExplorerAtHeart

---------

Previous

Return to In the news