A cure for ageing?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

When do you think ageing will be cured?

Within the next 5-10 years
No votes
Within the next 11-20 years
5%
Within the next 21-50 years
35%
Within the next 51-100 years
40%
Within the next 101-200 years
13%
A few centuries from now
No votes
Thousands of years from now
No votes
Probably never.
8%

Total votes : 40

A cure for ageing?

Postby wjfox2009 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Will we ever find a cure for ageing, and if so, when?

I've argued that yes, we will find a cure - or at least a way to slow down the ageing process. And I believe it will likely occur in my lifetime (I'm 29 now). See my post here -

Please vote in the poll. :)
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Re: A cure for ageing?

Postby Medo on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 pm

I think there will be a cure in the next 40-50 years.
But sooner than that, we will be able to grow individual organs from stem cells and replace our failing ones. This however, will not stop ageing, it will merely prolong life. To find a lasting cure we have to find a solution on a genetic level and perhaps we need to reinforce the brain to deal with prolonged life.
Medo

Postby earlier on Mon May 25, 2009 4:30 am

Also. for the cure in the next 51-100 years.
earlier

Postby BoomWav on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Ageing will be cured relatively fast. It will also become mainstream really fast. People are already butchering their face and body to do that and will gladly spend hundred if not thousands just to stay young. There's already biological methods to make life longer even in already old mouse. Advancement in genetics and nanotechnology will really help it too. In fact, most of research being done now to cure cancer or Alzheimer could also be use to cure ageing (disposal of dead cell and nourishing of nurturing of living one).

To me, we should have some good result in about 20 years.
BoomWav

Postby wjfox2009 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Some fairly major news this week...

See also this video by the company -

wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Tumaini09 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 am

With the current rate of advancement... I can well believe that natural aging will be arrestable within the next 50 years. As for reversing it, that's another matter entirely. Clearing up the accumulated genetic errors from a lifetime of cell renewal would be considerably more complicated than simply preventing any further errors.

I would probably be willing to live indefinitely, even if eternal life meant eternal old age.

It's strange how virtually all popular sci-fi franchises have ignored the possibility of human immortality - no matter how positive their portrayal of future life & society.

If anything, the closest fictional model I've seen for a race of ageless, disease-free humans would be Tolkien's Elves (who could interbreed with mortal Men and produce fertile offspring, so were not - strictly speaking - a separate species). Have any fanfiction writers tried placing Elves in a high-tech, democratic, future setting?
Tumaini09

Postby demonhunter505 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:51 pm

The major problem I see with a "cure" for aging would be the population growth rate... Imagine how quickly the population would rise if no one died of old age? I mean there are food shortages in many places in the world NOW. We'd have to do something with a lot of people...
demonhunter505

Postby TraderEddy on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Problem is simply a number of things. Aging isn't a disease and thus can't be cured. There is nothing that can prevent people from dying. I think that if humans do end up living longer a number things will happen. I think suicide rates will go up cause if some people can't handle living 50 years what makes 200 any different? Another thing is that we have already extended childhood from 13 to 16 to 18 to 21 and so on. Making things like bi-centenarians make 50 a form of child hood, I find it ridiculous. As a 16-year old, I feel that I should be already in the workforce, I should already be living my own life. This makes people who live with their parents that are 40-years old normal if not expected.

Another problem is the fragility of man. "A myth taken from the Greek Eos by Roman poets tells that one of her lovers was the prince of Troy, Tithonus. Tithonus was a mortal, and would age and die. Wanting to be with her lover for all eternity, Aurora asked Zeus to grant immortality to Tithonus. Zeus granted her wish, but she failed to ask for eternal youth for him and he wound up aging eternally. Aurora turned him into a grasshopper." ()

Tithonus indeed lived forever
"but when loathsome old age pressed full upon him, and he could not move nor lift his limbs, this seemed to her in her heart the best counsel: she laid him in a room and put to the shining doors. There he babbles endlessly, and no more has strength at all, such as once he had in his supple limbs." (Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite)
In later tellings he eventually turned into a cicada, eternally living, but begging for death to overcome him." ()

So ya, suicide is gonna be a problem. Mass consumption is going to be a problem. Now trying not to sound evil, but what do the elderly do in our society? If you give them another hundred years will they be more useful?

The important thing if any is to cure diseases that deprive people from life, if they so wish to live.

~Signed
TraderEddy
TraderEddy

Postby MikeHarris on Tue May 04, 2010 6:42 pm

The Age For Curing, Or the Curing For Our Age?, Does it even matter? People ask, Yes! it does because their needs to be a way we can survive longer than we are supposed to, If we succeed in this matter we will be able to put our minds to fullest of its potential Like me, I am only seventeen years of age and i create inventions, i create these Genius Idea's to create many different tools and objects that the people of the future can use, I want to be able to create machines that can make people survive the climate at anytime, I want to be able to break the barrier of speed, sound, and light and see what this takes us.

The Cure for us not to age would be hard, I have this theory.

Alright, We drink water, we use supplies made everyday, we use more artificial things than we use natural.
How come history says that people lived to be two to three to four-hundred years old in 300 B.C. or 200 B.C. i have no idea, But in my opinion to figure out many different complications in our life, I believe we should locate our source of problems and fix them we as in humanity, We haven't gone back to our old items and fixed the potential problems their could be in our tools.

Well class is about to let out, we will speak more on this matter soon enough, i may be young but I'm looking to help the world or even help us get off this world onto another world, I have a couple idea's for moving half the civilization to another planet or maybe our moon?, Who knows.. But Ill speak with you all another time just send me a message if anyone has any questions.
MikeHarris

Postby Phiusem on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:27 pm

New here.

I assess that immortality will be achieved in about 40 years. However, it's difficult to be sure as to what methods will enable it. We are currently seeing staggering advances being made in an ever increasing pace in entirely different areas of science. Personally, I'm looking forward to being "upgraded" in about 30 years with new, more efficient biological organs, but my end goal is to be uploaded into an immortal android that will become my new body. My only concern is whether the intimate, romantic, sexual etc. sensations can be retained, but I'm sure that scientific community will find a way. I'm 24 and so is my future wife, we're both looking forward to seeing the 22nd century and beyond. We don't drink, smoke, do any drugs etc.
Phiusem

---------

Next

Return to The Future