A cure for ageing?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

When do you think ageing will be cured?

Within the next 5-10 years
No votes
Within the next 11-20 years
5%
Within the next 21-50 years
35%
Within the next 51-100 years
40%
Within the next 101-200 years
13%
A few centuries from now
No votes
Thousands of years from now
No votes
Probably never.
8%

Total votes : 40

Re: A cure for ageing?

Postby Tumaini09 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Phiusem wrote:...we're both looking forward to seeing the 22nd century and beyond. We don't drink, smoke, do any drugs etc.

Alcohol, in moderation, reduces stress levels and induces beneficial relaxation. It may actually help prolong life for many people.

I quite agree about wanting to live into the next century. It's amazing how quickly this one seems to be passing...
Tumaini09

Postby daiks on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:07 pm

i think if we could achieve immortality then child birth would some what decrease, having a child is in some way a method we use to make sure our name lives on, if we live forever then there is no need for this.

we cant predict what society will be like when immortality is available. we might be so consumed with ourselves that having children simply isn't something we want to do.
daiks

Postby UpTheCounty on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:22 pm

I think we'll get to a stage where children are no longer required, robots will replace both children and pets.

Death will be by choice only, the choice is optional at the moment as suicide is already legal.

The question is at what point is one no longer considered the same person? Is it only your mind that defines who you are? If so your thoughts could simply be tranferred into an immortal synthetic being. We'll soon be able to grow any human organ from scratch.
UpTheCounty

Postby Tumaini09 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 am

UpTheCounty wrote:The question is at what point is one no longer considered the same person? Is it only your mind that defines who you are? If so your thoughts could simply be tranferred into an immortal synthetic being..

Almost every cell in your body is replaced, several times, over a healthy human lifespan. An old man is a very different being, both physically and mentally, from the little boy he once was - yet nobody would deny that he is still the same individual.

The sort of philosophical issues associated with organ or whole-body replacement can be extended to other future technologies. If teleportation of a living human being ever becomes possible, many will ask: is the individual who materialises at the end of the process really the same one who dematerialised? Or was the first person killed, and a new identical person created with all the same memories?
Tumaini09

Postby wjfox2009 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Interesting video -

wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Italian Ufo on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 pm

I believe with in this decade 2010-2020 we will start to use stem cells especailly after 2016 many trials will start but they would be mostly for tendons, ligaments, intervertebral disk and cartilage... also for some type of diabetes, cohrnea and external skin for heart tissue.
Some of these treamtement are alreayd available now but they are very expensive.

between 2020-2030 many trilals will be ended and stem cells will be more secure however we could have some exceptional cases which will give some side effect and it will make slow down the progress. However stem cells will be more programmed and more safe then ever to regenerate organs

2030-2040 the first bio-engenieered heart will be implanted..and new medical industries will be discover

within 2070 scientists will programm to have recreate any single part of the organ...it is a challange!

From the 80s we wil lstart to have gene therapy and more efective anti-agenig products and therapies

So far the pepole who are living to day have a chance to be almost immortal if they dont die for accidents...in the future we will avoid also that problem...

The things is these therapies will be very expensives...and will rise many ethical problems...so keep saving money!

For now it would be great to have good diagnosis for medical problems , have a stupid simple drug to relax muscles permentaly and some other procedures which is not laser who can treat the real causes of myopia, presbyopia and astigmatism! We dont have that!!!!
Italian Ufo

Postby Septuaginta on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:33 am

(My first post on the forum)

I've been observing trends in life extension for more than 5 years on daily basis. I'm also an aspiring futurist which implies that I resort to mathematical methods, draw regressions and try to predict future trends on my own. According to my experience, mathematical modeling and inference, escape velocity (that is, extending average life span with >1 year annually) is achievable by mid 21st century. I'd say, 2047 for life extension is a very realistic prediction, with standard deviation/error of 2,5 years assuming that no devastating global disasters occur.

As for me, I'm quite relaxed about the issue since I'm only 22 with extremely healthy lifestyle. Besides, nearly all of my ancestors had/have quite long life spans, including my grandfather, a 91 year old WWII veteran who has a regular job and works 5 days a week.

I do believe that vast majority of users here have a reason to feel the same way as I do and be less apprehensive about aging.

Sorry for mistakes if any, English is my second language.
Septuaginta

Postby marauda on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:44 pm

It's going to happen in 20 to 30 years, maybe a bit less. I guess I'll be one of the last to die. I don't think I can last more than 20, if that long. It makes me very sad. :cry:
marauda

Postby Merlin on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:07 am

Why?
Merlin

Postby MissTomorrow on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm

Tumaini09 wrote: An old man is a very different being, both physically and mentally, from the little boy he once was - yet nobody would deny that he is still the same individual.

He is the same bcause he remembers being that boy, he has the same genes even i f the y have degraded with copying, & his fingerprints wont have changed.
If he got a scar as a boy, he'll still hav it in old age.

Italian ufo wrote:So far the pepole who are living to day have a chance to be almost immortal if they dont die for accidents...in the future we will avoid also that problem...

The things is these therapies will be very expensives...and will rise many ethical problems...so keep saving money!

Thats a pleasent thought! I'll start saving now.. can't think of anything more worth it. I don't want to grow old..
But what makes you think imortality treatment wont be made illegal to stop over population happening?

septuaginta wrote:my grandfather, a 91 year old WWII veteran who has a regular job and works 5 days a week.

I take it he choses to work! He must hav earned his rest by now. My own grandfather says how retirement was far too long in coming, he worked his fingers raw for near 50 years.

If people become imortal, obviously we cant be pensioners forever... but eternal works sounds oppresing. Maybe everyone would get 2 or 3 decades off work every 100 years? :?
MissTomorrow

---------

PreviousNext

Return to The Future