A cure for ageing?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

When do you think ageing will be cured?

Within the next 5-10 years
No votes
Within the next 11-20 years
5%
Within the next 21-50 years
35%
Within the next 51-100 years
40%
Within the next 101-200 years
13%
A few centuries from now
No votes
Thousands of years from now
No votes
Probably never.
8%

Total votes : 40

Re: A cure for ageing?

Postby Prolite on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 am

classical piano guy wrote:Even so, the studies currently under way in that field are still looking more and more promising each month. And with stem cell research and nanomedicine also accelerating at unprecedented rates, there is no longer any doubt in my mind that, barring global catastrophe, anti-aging treatments/medications will be available to the general public within the next 40-50 years.

It depends what kind of breakthroughs there are in DNA computers. Or perhaps a completely different type of DNA computer might be invented. Maybe it will be one that combines quantum computing and nano-reading devices that can analyze and recreate live simulations of every process of cellular life. Instead of looking for answers, the computer would be able to analyze and quantify life's cellular processes itself. Of course scientists and computer programmers would have to work together to understand correlate the data properly, but it seems like an invention that would revolutionize anti-aging research.

But more on this subject: Imagine if Aubrey De Grey and all other leading scientists in the field of anti-aging could bundle all of their knowledge together in a database? So in other words, all of the research papers written about anti-aging would be included in the database as well as all scientists working in the field would be able to transfer their knowledge into digital form (by manual input, A.I., speech recognition, or possibly direct brain-to-computer interface). Than you take an AI program like Watson and feed it all this information. Scientists by that time (2050 or so), would be able to have primitive conversations with A.I. programs like Watson, and just ask Watson questions, or try and find resolve in a problem that scientists can't seem to figure out. Maybe the scientist could say to the computer: "Watson: I need you to find the correlation between telemere length and X variable, Y variable and etc..". That would be cool. 8-)
Prolite

Postby crzer07 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:47 am

It's funny because this brings back to the time where I came up with a plan that by the age of 50-65, I will commit suicide. My reasoning was that if death was inevitable by 75 in males, and 80-85 in females, then I would not want to go through die a slow disparaging death. Why die by being an old fart old hag that's riddled with health problems who has to be reminded to go to the bathroom every 30 min and can't remember the last few days of our life? To be honest, I'd rather die in a motorcycle accident at 50 or take a bullet for somebody than to rot in a nursing home waiting to die. As we get older often we try to find the best possible way to go out in a bang.

actually my ideal method of death is taking down an arch nemesis with me in a glorious battle lol

But even then even if I'm still alive around 80 riddled with diseases I'd rather be injected with a pathogenic bio weapon and jettison my body into enemy lines :D
But heck usually you don't have a damn choice even to how you want to die, let alone stop aging... you might as well just forget about it.

However there doesn't seem to be anything that will influence me to revise my plan, cure for aging is only possible for those born in the 2020's or 30's. (that is of course in mainstream society)
crzer07

Postby Prolite on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:59 pm

crzer07 wrote:However there doesn't seem to be anything that will influence me to revise my plan, cure for aging is only possible for those born in the 2020's or 30's. (that is of course in mainstream society)

Firstly, diet and exercise combined with proper sleep, low stress, and vitamin supplementation can keep you feeling young even when you're old. Many doctors today are saying that Alzheimer's disease can be greatly avoided by living a healthy lifestyle, as well many other old-age diseases such as heart attack and stroke. Secondly, you're predicting technologies for anti-aging to be available to only those born by 2020 or 2030 when nobody even knows when anti-aging technology will even exist. Who knows, maybe it won't be available until halfway through the 22nd century, less the 21st.
Prolite

Postby crzer07 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:32 am

Prolite wrote:Firstly, diet and exercise combined with proper sleep, low stress, and vitamin supplementation can keep you feeling young even when you're old.

Well it's basically delaying the inevitable and drawing out the cellular decay process, how much longer can you keep it up until eventually you will have to go through the miserable stages just to die. If that's the end goal, I'm saying why not just simply die? Just how Michio Kaku describes the ***ushima nuclear accident, hanging on a cliff by the thread of a nail.

Prolite wrote:Secondly, you're predicting technologies for anti-aging to be available to only those born by 2020 or 2030 when nobody even knows when anti-aging technology will even exist. Who knows, maybe it won't be available until halfway through the 22nd century, less the 21st.

I mean those born during that time might be the last generation to involuntarily die by natural aging... of course when they reach the last stages of senior years anti-aging will just begin to be mainstream, and as you said, in the 22nd century. if you're Generation X, Y or Z you probably won't make it past longevity escape velocity; maybe with the exception of Z you might barely make it... if you're lucky that is. I'm not saying with certainty but based on how things are going currently this is the best guess for now.
crzer07

Postby Kynareth on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:57 am

IMO fully aging reverse and a cure will come in 45-60 years. But before that time there will be other methods to prolong people's life (not infinitely) avaible for humans in richer countries. And it will help people like some of those who write here live to see those anti-aging miracles. :mrgreen:
That's only what I think, but there's high possibility that many of those born in 1970s and later might see 22nd century and further.
For me forum users who tick "probably never" in the poll are ignorants or just they believe that the humanity will be destroyed. I think that's the only possibility to not invent anti-aging methods : if we are destroyed before 2050's we won't have time to invent it. But anyway there are IMO again, 2 possible causes of destruction of our 0,71 (LOL) level civilization (quoting Michio Kaku) ; advanced Alien Civilization that makes us vanish or really big asteroid that would collide with Earth and it's course wasn't altered. It's just no way we would have intentions to destroy everything using nuclear bombs (single terrorist organization just doesn't have enough power). Climate changes aren't that powerful too (they will involve animals more than humans).
Conclusion: I'm pretty sure we WILL cure aging by the end of this century :geek: that's what called positive thinking
Kynareth

Postby Wesfky on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 am

If the aging process is stopped, would we still need to change out our old hearts every 60 years or so?
Wesfky

Postby Prolite on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:40 am

Wesfky wrote:If the aging process is stopped, would we still need to change out our old hearts every 60 years or so?

The only person that can answer that question is a geneticist, biologist, or a gerontologist. I'm not sure a regular doctor would know the answer to that.
Prolite

Postby classical piano guy on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:25 am

Wesfky wrote:If the aging process is stopped, would we still need to change out our old hearts every 60 years or so?

It really depends on the nature of the first "cure" for aging we develop. If telomere research is the first field with enough progress to promise indefinite lifespan, then theoretically, no. If stem cells are, we would have to keep replacing our hearts until the first breakthrough in another area.

Nanotechnology, though, is slightly less predictable. If nanomedicine were to grow advanced enough to suit that purpose, chances are, only one replacement would be necessary -- as 60 more years of exponential development would be more than sufficient to eliminate any problems.

(However, technically, the aging process will always continue as long as our bodies have a metabolism -- we can just stop it from having any negative effects on our health or physical appearance.)
classical piano guy

Postby Time_Traveller on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 am

I think the cure for ageing would be around Mid-Late 21st Century and i have always wanted to live in the 22nd and beyond it.
Time_Traveller

Postby Prolite on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:02 am

If I could live indefinitely, I would want to have my own starship. I don't think anything could ever beat that, not even hot women.
Prolite

---------

PreviousNext

Return to The Future