Does Humanity Stand Any Chance?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Does Humanity Stand Any Chance?

Postby Isomatter on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:15 pm

I've read all predictions on the site, and I seem to be surprised how optimistic they sound. Well, of course, no one can predict war, or a catastrophic event, caused by humans, but still, do you think we can survive ourselves?

Many people say this is the time of silence before the storm. That this relatively peaceful state of human race which came after the cold war, is a calm age, and then the world bursts into chaos. A war strikes, for whatever reason (most probably overpopulation, or energy crisis). This will be a war in which nuclear weapons will be used. Eventually the civilization returns to more primitive state in less than a few centuries.

As Einstein said: "The Third World war will be fought with nuclear weapons, the Fourth will be fought with stones and sticks"

If I think of it, I just can't assume that thousands of years of development will end like this. Afterall, you don't expect the world's leaders to anihilate everyone for the cost of destroying the world. They have to think rationally. Destruction will not bring profit to anyone. It's our home, and it will remain for a long time. Who in his clear mind could cause this? If we survived the Cold War with not one single warhead used between the two blocks, what else could make us pull the trigger and light us up in nuclear war? I want to have faith, that we can survive this century. I believe in humanity. But my faith seems to wane when I realize the risk we're taking by having so much power.

So, what do you think?
Isomatter

Re: Does Humanity Stand Any Chance?

Postby Prolite on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:08 am

Honestly, the biggest risk to the world during this century is going to be the global economy. In fact, that already is the biggest risk. You can make a great case for nanotechnology and advanced weapon systems being used for violence, but the biggest hazard is definitely going to be world markets. By the way, the whole looming oil crisis and energy crisis, can be filed under money and the economy. You can also add politics in there too since politics affect the economy. Since everything is interconnected, the biggest risk will be the following:

21st century equation for global crisis: [Economy - Politics - Energy - Trade]
Prolite

Postby Isomatter on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:25 pm

But will we survive? Is there going to be humanity (in biological, or non-biological form) in 22nd and 23rd centuries? This is a serious issue. Are we trying to find new technologies just to destroy ourselves? If yes, then there's not much to look forward. I don't believe in utopia... there will always be trouble, with whatever comes in front of us. Still, I think our race will come through 21st century just like it did through the 20th (and let's not forget the two world wars and the cold war). Am I too optimistic?
Isomatter

Postby crzer07 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 pm

As we gain ourselves some new technology the natural environment just goes to the ****ters, oh and don't forget climate change. Whatever seems good to us = bad for everything else. Humans = virus; which is what the VHEMT movement feels. let's just hope what Kurzweil just claimed is correct in we will be totally free from oil in 20 years by the mighty solar power. I suppose if we're not so hell bent on profit from oil it would happen sooner.
crzer07

Postby Prolite on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:17 am

crzer07 wrote:let's just hope what Kurzweil just claimed is correct in we will be totally free from oil in 20 years by the mighty solar power. I suppose if we're not so hell bent on profit from oil it would happen sooner.

I'd be willing to bet everything I own that we'll still be using oil to power our vehicles in 20 years from now. The oil companies own the world, quite literally speaking. Unless of course, you're a dictator from Yemen, Syria, Libya, and etc.. In all seriousness, it's going to be a long time between we stop using oil to power everything. However, there's a side of me that says that this may not be true due to the inevitable price of oil. I even heard one of those thug oil speculators on CNN live television say, "we're testing different levels now to see what works best". You know what that means? It means that oil speculators are artificially inflating the price of oil to find the exact tipping point of the price ceiling for oil -- the point at which people will buy less oil due to the price being too high. In business, we call this "the ceiling price"; the highest price at which customers are willing to buy your products and/or services before consumption drops off. I think these oil speculators are getting way too greedy, and they're FORCING a quick transition away from oil, and it might just happen within 20 years. So, who knows? Maybe I shouldn't bet everything I have lol. Not like I own much anyway :mrgreen:
Prolite

Postby Craven on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm

I don't think there's danger of any big scale war anymore. There's no need for it anymore. Atomic/Biological/Chemical terrorism can be an issue, but fortunately I don't think we'll face this prediction of Einstein.

But there's another problem with humanity. With civilisation, very basic verification mechanism - natural selection, no longer works. While I know that it's slippery ground to mention something like that, "good genes" no longer have better chances of survival compared to "bad genes". Volume of our brain is decreasing, probably because there's no longer need to be alert at all times, to be smart to get food, so we're facing devolution into sluggish lazy idiots ;)
Craven

---------

Return to The Future