Earth's Future Infrastructure

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Earth's Future Infrastructure

Postby crzer07 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 am

What do you think it will be like? With mind uploading, full immersion virtual reality, instant information download, additive manufacturing and teleportation I suspect a ton of real estate developments will be phased out, simply because they will be obsolete and they take up too much space and messes up the biosphere. Not to mention the costs to to maintain them.

Examples of such:
schools
zoos
churches/mosques/synagogues/temples (the level of importance of religion in modern culture baffles me)
hospitals
factories
banks
retirement communities
rescue departments (safety will be built into the environment)
shopping malls and districts
retail and wholesale environments
office buildings/business clusters
...and countless useless constructions that will no longer serve any purpose (except to maintain the status quo of the elites)

Perhaps the majority of the buildings will be commercially phased out, while anything else related to residential, commercial or industrial spaces will be merged together into one, I believe. World Wonders and Heritage sites will probably be preserved for historical importance and architectural distictiveness, and hospitals will be converted into cloning, reproductive or superhuman augmentation centres. Schools will also be converted into R&D facilities. The military and defense construction will mostly be relocated in outer space.

I think the only things you will see in the future will be vertical hyper-cities on the land, floating and ocean floor cities, giant energy super grids, remote scientific research facilities, raw material extraction sites in some inaccessible areas, maybe there will be cities in the sky if we are able to generate superconductivity, and the rest of the surface area will be returned to the way it was before we f*cked it up basically serving as parks, which will phase out zoos (they exist because we detatched ourselves and declared the rest of nature useless). We may even decide to clone extinct species back to life (that is the ones that had gone the way by the mighty, flaming, unprecedented iron fist of our human superiority complexes)

That is of course the prediction is only valid if we successfully become a Type I civilization.

crzer07

Re: Earth's Future Infrastructure

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank You, i like city building concepts

ExplorerAtHeart

Postby crzer07 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 am

I think Will Fox should make a timeline the way urban landscape will be in the future. and hey, it's Sky City 1000 that monster is a kilometer high. They say it's 2150 in there maybe around that time vertical cities will be common?
crzer07

Postby Random Guy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Would you want to live in a giant, mile-high city-in-a-building with everything you would ever need or want and never set foot outside of this building your whole life?
You would have everything you want.
Everything, except for freedom.

Don't you think that a lot of people wouldn't like to live like that?
Random Guy

Location: Sector 7, District of New York, United States of America

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:36 pm

.. you can leave it when you want and come when you want
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby crzer07 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:08 am

Random Guy wrote:Would you want to live in a giant, mile-high city-in-a-building with everything you would ever need or want and never set foot outside of this building your whole life?
You would have everything you want.
Everything, except for freedom.

Don't you think that a lot of people wouldn't like to live like that?

The problem with that is freedom is a loose and ambiguous word. Just exactly what wouldn't you be "free" of? If complacency is an issue I suppose you can always move elshwere, but I don't think every single person will live in a city, but the point is new concepts to free up natural space. The only possible issue I can think of is an undesirable environment that predisposes complacency? Other than that, as you've even said after having everything you want the argument is only validated if there's heavy restriction of relocation or free flow of unmanipulated information, or you have some corrupted dictator as mayor. I suppose what you're trying to say is this would make the abuse of technology easier?

Besides that we're already holding back alot of our urges and desires like bashing someone over the head, or just yelling at some random guy's face because you're pissed for some reason... these are all the things you're free to do and nobody to stop you from doing. and yet (at least most) we don't. What we don't have the freedom to do is however is things like murder or rape.

If you just like pure randomness and chaos then, again VR would be available or take a shuttle craft into the edge of a black hole.
crzer07

Postby Random Guy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Whoa -- misinterpretation, dude. I was just saying... I'd like to be able to get around outside.
Random Guy

Postby crzer07 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 am

lol

a blog has just been made about future urban environments, but it's just urban environments. There needs to be more about the implication to society. and there's nothing about quantum entanglement and femtotechnology which is the basis that drives food replicators and teleportation.
crzer07

Postby Random Guy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 pm

The Next 100 Years discusses the generation of solar power in space via satellites, being beamed down to Earth and distributed wirelessly.
Random Guy

Postby Kynareth on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:32 am

I'm not sure if huge, complicated infrastructure will be needed in the far future as we would prefer to live in Virtual Reality but I would like to see cities like this :twisted:
Kynareth

---------

Next

Return to The Future