Eliminating sleep

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Eliminating sleep

Postby wjfox2009 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 am

Do you think we'll ever create drugs/biotech/treatments that can 100% eliminate the need to sleep? How and when would this happen? It's something I'd like to add to the timeline. I need some good references though. :) I'm thinking probably 2050s/60s or later, as sleep is such a fundamental part of being human, and the research would be very complex.
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Re: Eliminating sleep

Postby Italian Ufo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:59 pm

lol, yesterday we had a debate about that in my department, and there are so many theories about why we sleep.
So first we need to understand why do we sleep. Is it for biological reasons or not ?
For example D.B. Cohen argues that our ancestors had to hide at night to protect themselves from predators, and this coercion would rise to the tendency to sleep.
But I ll see if I can find some articles for sleep" treatment" in the future. I thnk that such a drug would have side effects.
Italian Ufo

Postby TreeHandThing on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Of course, UFO, you have to put in a picture of a naked woman :D

I love sleep, and wouldn't want to get rid of it. But yeah, drugs or something may become avaliable. Don't know if they'd become popular though.
TreeHandThing

Postby crzer07 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 am

Lol I think Ufo needs to get a girlfriend already... that we can all agree

but since sleep is part of our psychophysiology, there is still alot involved in it like its functions of REM sleep and determining its purpose and evolution. but we all know the consequences if we deprive ourselves of this state. It's going to be a real complex research into developments to eliminate sleep, and rest assured you won't be just dealing with the brain. Perhaps sometime during the next century we might develop a Borg-style regeneration hub.

But dammit Will, I gave you a bunch of ideas to put something on the timeline.
crzer07

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 am

Condense all the processes of sleep into an hour.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Italian Ufo on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 am

LOL You guys!

I put this picture because I thought it was nice picutre. My intent was not to expose any sexual content ahhha. I tried to find some picture of Morpheus ( The God of Dreams) but I didnt like them so I thought a sleeping woman was better ahaha.

and Yes ,probably I need a girlfriend but I am still undecided if I should get one or not. Women have disapointed me a lot lately in terms of personality. I still need to choose if I will stay single or have a parthner, for now my Phd is my priority. :)

Eventually a drug that dosent make me sleep would be awesome for my case. I would be much more productive academicly speaking.
But somehow I still enjoy to rest, be under the blankets and make dreams sometimes.
Last edited by Italian Ufo on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Italian Ufo

Postby Prolite on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 am

crzer07 wrote:Lol I think Ufo needs to get a girlfriend already... that we can all agree

AHAHAHAHAHAH :lol:
Prolite

Postby Prolite on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 am

If you're going to eliminate sleep, you'd better know how metabolism works to the nth degree as well as every single stinkin' process in the human body including the brain. And even beyond that, you'd better understand what purpose dreams have because scary dreams for instance, aren't just there for our hair-raising bewilderment.
Prolite

Postby Saradus on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Another possibility (although don't hold me to this, I know almost nothing about sleep science and dreams) could be a drug that enhances our conciousness in dreams or ability to control and remember them. Why? Well consider this.

If we reached a high enough level of conciousness and memory-retention in our dreams, we could continue to work as we do during the day. Our productivity would sky-rocket. Furthermore, at least in my experience, a long period of time in a dream can be mere minutes in reality. So even more productivity! This could be completely unfeasible though, I'm just thinking out loud :)
Saradus

Postby Prolite on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Saradus wrote:Another possibility (although don't hold me to this, I know almost nothing about sleep science and dreams) could be a drug that enhances our conciousness in dreams or ability to control and remember them. Why? Well consider this.

If we reached a high enough level of conciousness and memory-retention in our dreams, we could continue to work as we do during the day. Our productivity would sky-rocket. Furthermore, at least in my experience, a long period of time in a dream can be mere minutes in reality. So even more productivity! This could be completely unfeasible though, I'm just thinking out loud :)

If you want to remember your dreams, just take a 3mg dosage of Melatonin before you go to bed. Your dreams will be quite vivid, trust me lol. That stuff is powerful. Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep because Melatonin causes next day drowsiness. You can buy it in any health service store.
Prolite

---------

Next

Return to The Future