Epilepsy Cured?

Suggestions for improving the timeline at futuretimeline.net

Epilepsy Cured?

Postby Time_Traveller on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 pm

I was wondering as i suffer from Epilepsy, i was thinking when Epilepsy would be Cured i think it;ll be cured around 2040-60.
Time_Traveller

Re: Epilepsy Cured?

Postby Prolite on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 am

Impossible to tell right now because Epilepsy is brought on by miss-firings of the brain. Scientists know next to nothing about the human brain. I think any significant breakthroughs for this will be in part due to quantum computers (live simulation of the brain while someone is experiencing a seizure) so scientists can quantify everything, and also due to improvements in MRI technology. You don't necessarily have to wait until there's a cure, you just have to wait until a treatment is available that eradicates the intensity of seizures to manageable levels so people can exist and hopefully live a normal life.
Prolite

Postby wjfox2009 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 am

Prolite wrote:Scientists know next to nothing about the human brain.

:roll:
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Italian Ufo on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 am

Hello Time Traveler

There is a recent italian discovery about epilesy, i found one article and translated for you, i hope you unerstand and can help you.

There is a dangerous link between the body and defense cells, white blood cells, and blood vessels of the brain. A bond that has been discovered by researchers and could be the basis of epilepsy: studies in mice have indeed shown that blocking this interaction with specific antibodies, they can prevent seizures. The discovery was coordinated by researchers Paul and Gabriela Constantin Fabene, University of Verona, and could lead to a new treatment for epilepsy. As we read in the journal Nature Medicine, specific antibodies that prevent the binding between leukocytes and vascular endothelium, mediated by adhesion molecules, such as integrins, reduce the seizures and prevent the development of the disease. In Italy, as elsewhere in the world, 1% of the population suffers from epilepsy. Of these patients, 30% derive no benefit from the drugs now on the market and to reduce the attacks must resort to surgery. The causes of the disease remain largely unknown, but assumed that at least some cases, there are also the basis of heredity. Studies on mice. In the past, studies on patients with epilepsy had prompted the suspicion that somehow the immune system might be involved in epilepsy: compared with healthy subjects, in fact, patients have an increased number of leukocytes in the brain. Thus, Italian scholars have used epileptic mice, observing what happens in their brains. In conjunction with the attacks, the researchers found in mice brain capillary interaction between neutrophils and white blood vessel walls themselves, the endothelium. This link is via adhesion proteins. The experts then tried to prevent the binding leukocyte-endothelium using antibodies against adhesion proteins. As assumed, this bond is reduced by preventing the attacks is to prevent attacks and chronic recurrent spontaneous. Blocking leukocyte-endothelium interaction, moreover, prevents the formation of ;cracks" in the blood-brain barrier that protects the brain from dangerous intrusions. When this barrier loses estate, increases the excitability of neurons and therefore the possibility of an epileptic seizure. Finally, the experts have found that it is possible to prevent crises by reducing the concentration of white blood neutrophils in the brains of mice.All this suggests - the researchers write in the pages of scientific journal - a pathogenetic link between leukocyte-vessel interaction, problems with keeping the blood-brain barrier and epilepsy. Our results suggest the interaction between leukocytes and vascular endothelium as a potential therapeutic target for the prevention and treatment of epilepsy.

I hope it makes sense to you, I tried my best.

Also I want to tell you somethin, in ancient Rome pepole with epilesy where regarded as privileged as pepole thought that epilessy suffers could get in touch with Gods when they had epilesy moments.

In any case I expect that in the next 20 years or so a cure could be found.
Italian Ufo

Postby Time_Traveller on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:06 am

Italian Ufo wrote:Hello Time Traveler

There is a recent italian discovery about epilesy, i found one article and translated for you, i hope you unerstand and can help you.

There is a dangerous link between the body and defense cells, white blood cells, and blood vessels of the brain. A bond that has been discovered by researchers and could be the basis of epilepsy: studies in mice have indeed shown that blocking this interaction with specific antibodies, they can prevent seizures. The discovery was coordinated by researchers Paul and Gabriela Constantin Fabene, University of Verona, and could lead to a new treatment for epilepsy. As we read in the journal Nature Medicine, specific antibodies that prevent the binding between leukocytes and vascular endothelium, mediated by adhesion molecules, such as integrins, reduce the seizures and prevent the development of the disease. In Italy, as elsewhere in the world, 1% of the population suffers from epilepsy. Of these patients, 30% derive no benefit from the drugs now on the market and to reduce the attacks must resort to surgery. The causes of the disease remain largely unknown, but assumed that at least some cases, there are also the basis of heredity. Studies on mice. In the past, studies on patients with epilepsy had prompted the suspicion that somehow the immune system might be involved in epilepsy: compared with healthy subjects, in fact, patients have an increased number of leukocytes in the brain. Thus, Italian scholars have used epileptic mice, observing what happens in their brains. In conjunction with the attacks, the researchers found in mice brain capillary interaction between neutrophils and white blood vessel walls themselves, the endothelium. This link is via adhesion proteins. The experts then tried to prevent the binding leukocyte-endothelium using antibodies against adhesion proteins. As assumed, this bond is reduced by preventing the attacks is to prevent attacks and chronic recurrent spontaneous. Blocking leukocyte-endothelium interaction, moreover, prevents the formation of ;cracks" in the blood-brain barrier that protects the brain from dangerous intrusions. When this barrier loses estate, increases the excitability of neurons and therefore the possibility of an epileptic seizure. Finally, the experts have found that it is possible to prevent crises by reducing the concentration of white blood neutrophils in the brains of mice.All this suggests - the researchers write in the pages of scientific journal - a pathogenetic link between leukocyte-vessel interaction, problems with keeping the blood-brain barrier and epilepsy. Our results suggest the interaction between leukocytes and vascular endothelium as a potential therapeutic target for the prevention and treatment of epilepsy.

I hope it makes sense to you, I tried my best.

Also I want to tell you somethin, in ancient Rome pepole with epilesy where regarded as privileged as pepole thought that epilepsy suffers could get in touch with Gods when they had epilesy moments.

In any case I expect that in the next 20 years or so a cure could be found.

Well sort off understand it, and really like the rome bit where other people of rome in roman times thought epilepsy suffers could contact the gods. Thanks Italian_Ufo.
Time_Traveller

---------

Return to Brainstorm