Forum Brainstorm

Suggestions for improving the timeline at futuretimeline.net

Forum Brainstorm

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:08 am

This is the thread to discuss how to make this forums and site boom. I really feel it has potential to get really popular and many good people with all sorts of opinions and ideas. The main problem now is how to advertise to new users, ie other futurists and people interested in the future and how to find them. Another point of discussion is how to make the forums themselves better, such as easier media sharing. We want to make sure the people we do attract onto this site are more inclined to stay. We should also think about other forums sections, but that is for when we grow larger. This site will grow and evolve over time, but we should have a good brainstorming engine to steer it!

Thats all i can think of at the moment, it is midnight and i am tired, i may have more ideas tomorrow, thank you.

Explorer
ExplorerAtHeart

Re: Forum Brainstorm

Postby Prolite on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Than my advice would be to make this site a social networking site that's aimed towards the specificity of topic of technology and futurism in general. The site ought not to look like Facebook per say, but to reinforce the norms and interests of the 'Future Timeline' community. It would be nice if each member could have his/her own timeline -- sort of like an interface where you drag and drop images or icons on a linear timeline, and you could add descriptions to those images and other things as well, such as linked articles and videos, etc.. Everyone should be able to share each other's timelines' as well. Perhaps everyone's timeline could be compared and analyzed to look for continuity, to see where everyone might agree, and a "community timeline" could be arranged using the data from everyone elses' timeline which would paint an semi-accurate picture of the future since this timeline would reflect multiple timeline congruence. In addition, each member should have an area where they could post "life casting" videos. In other words, people could film themselves in everyday life reflecting new technology and/or how it's being used. And these videos would be uploaded to youtube and embedded to this website in special template that makes it look nice and fancy. Perhaps the lifecasting videos could reflect events, speeches, and technology meetings that member's have attended. Not every technology meeting people visit gets recorded, and furthermore, even if it was and posted to youtube, these videos might be hard to find. At least here at this website, the videos would be centralized and categorized based on individual member's accounts and their personal experiences with technology.

I have a lot more ideas. Just thinking like an entrepreneur :)
Prolite

Postby wjfox2009 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Prolite wrote:Than my advice would be to make this site a social networking site that's aimed towards the specificity of topic of technology and futurism in general. The site ought not to look like Facebook per say, but to reinforce the norms and interests of the 'Future Timeline' community. It would be nice if each member could have his/her own timeline -- sort of like an interface where you drag and drop images or icons on a linear timeline, and you could add descriptions to those images and other things as well, such as linked articles and videos, etc.. Everyone should be able to share each other's timelines' as well. Perhaps everyone's timeline could be compared and analyzed to look for continuity, to see where everyone might agree, and a "community timeline" could be arranged using the data from everyone elses' timeline which would paint an semi-accurate picture of the future since this timeline would reflect multiple timeline congruence. In addition, each member should have an area where they could post "life casting" videos. In other words, people could film themselves in everyday life reflecting new technology and/or how it's being used. And these videos would be uploaded to youtube and embedded to this website in special template that makes it look nice and fancy. Perhaps the lifecasting videos could reflect events, speeches, and technology meetings that member's have attended. Not every technology meeting people visit gets recorded, and furthermore, even if it was and posted to youtube, these videos might be hard to find. At least here at this website, the videos would be centralized and categorized based on individual member's accounts and their personal experiences with technology.

I have a lot more ideas. Just thinking like an entrepreneur :)

Erm... WOW.

You've given me some amazing ideas. Thanks!!!
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Prolite on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:51 pm

You are very welcome.
Prolite

Postby Prolite on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:19 am

Okay so that drag and drop thing I was talking about where users can easily create their own hypothetical timelines; here's the technology for it:

Something to do with HTML5. Html5 looks like it's going to be amazing. It 's a shame it's not going to be implemented until 2022 at the earliest. What a damn shame.
Prolite

Postby gregzeng on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 am

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:This is the thread to discuss how to make this forums and site boom. I really feel it has potential to get really popular and many good people with all sorts of opinions and ideas. The main problem now is how to advertise to new users, ie other futurists and people interested in the future and how to find them. Another point of discussion is how to make the forums themselves better, such as easier media sharing. We want to make sure the people we do attract onto this site are more inclined to stay. We should also think about other forums sections, but that is for when we grow larger. This site will grow and evolve over time, but we should have a good brainstorming engine to steer it!

Thats all i can think of at the moment, it is midnight and i am tired, i may have more ideas tomorrow, thank you.

Explorer

Could you use a more professional forum program, andd make this post a "sticky" - always at the top of the forum.

The silly forum software you use now will now allow me to edit my new nor old posts. Check OCAU.COM. The owner there (one person) makes an ok income from the forum, like you could do. Sorry that you are so $$ rich that you are not interested in $$. Now to work upon your internet skills & weath ....
gregzeng

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 am

I am not the owner of the site, im not even a moderator ^^

see wjfox
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Nick1984 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:30 am

Best not to make too many radical changes that lose sight of what makes the site great in the first place.
Nick1984

---------

Return to Brainstorm