Free Calls and Free Internet in 10 years?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Re: Free Calls and Free Internet in 10 years?

Postby Nick1984 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Phone companies will move to providing more internet tariffs as infrastructure grows.

Nearly all calls and texts sent in 2020 will be over internet/VoIP/Skype.
Nick1984

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am

It costs money(resources) to run a tech network like a phone system.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Prolite on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 am

classical piano guy wrote:
Prolite wrote:NO. Nothing in this world is free except for the air you breathe. And nothing will ever be free as long as people exist. Which brings me to another point: as long as humans exist, there will always be a currency, an economy, and MONEY -- whether it's digital or physical.

For once, I actually agree with you.

Sorry, UFO, but that's really just wishful thinking on your part. Portable internet calls could lower phone costs in the future, but people will never stop charging money. At the very best, we may eventually see something like, "Pay x dollars a month for 3/4/5G connections and get phone service for free."

That's because you're actually using your noodle for once. :mrgreen:
Prolite

Postby classical piano guy on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 am

Italian Ufo wrote:
Really? they were saying that about TV as well until the 1970s. "You will always pay to watch it" and then in 1978 Silvio Berlusconi launched the first privite tv with the cancellation of the annual fee that italians used to pay. Many other countries followed this example.

Interesting, cable charges have done nothing but increase over the last 40 years here in the states. You're telling me that Silvio Berlusconi pays for your cable out of his own pocket? Hard to believe.

Italian Ufo wrote:
... web sites where you could download music and movies . They are all free.

Those are all illegal (of course, that doesn't stop most people).

Italian Ufo wrote:Also video games online, many you have still to pay but actully the most popular ones are the one who are for free. The internet rule is, the more you click on a website the more money you make.

It's true that P.C. games are much cheaper when bought from the internet (take steam, for example), but any website that offers them to you for free is doing so illegally.

Italian Ufo wrote:Why in the future this concept cant be transfered to phones? especailly that internet in the next few years will be more and more on the phones.

Someone has to pay for the cost of servicing your phone; so either a rich benefactor like Silvio does it, or you do.
classical piano guy

Postby Italian Ufo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 am

How can it be illegal and be on publc display on internet? Of course some are but not all

Someone will pay for our phone calls yes, just like someone pays for our tv. Simply phone calls will be provided by skype or similars, and the more you use them the more these investors make money.

Yes with Berlusconi we dont pay anything at all. We pay just by watching tv if you want to say so
Italian Ufo

Postby Prolite on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Italian Ufo wrote:Someone will pay for our phone calls yes, just like someone pays for our tv. Simply phone calls will be provided by skype or similars, and the more you use them the more these investors make money.

If you are on Skype and call someone who doesn't have Skype or say you just want to call a landline, it will cost you money. And by the way, my monthly cable bill is 120 bucks a month or some crazy amount like that. Granted I could have basic cable, but that's still 40 dollars a month. What about free tv? Those were the good old days until they took free television away from us. Now EVERYONE has to pay for t.v. (unless you are really close to the radio tower and have a digital converter box or updated t.v.) By the way, my grandmother lived too far away from the radio towers that broadcasted the tv's signals, so she was forced to buy television from a cable provider. It's an outrage. If anything, society is moving towards a "pay for everything" mentality, not a "everything becomes free" mentality. This cultural trend is even worse in Europe. In Europe, THEY CHARGE YOU FOR EVERYTHING. For Christ sake, in Europe, if you want a glass of water with your dinner if you're sitting at a restaurant, you have to pay for it! In the United States, if a business did that to a customer, the business would be scrutinized and laughed at. And the business would be all over prime-time television for having done such shady business practices.
Prolite

Postby Italian Ufo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Well in Italy we dont pay for the majority of TV channals.

You dont charge pepole for sitting or drink a glass of water in the US but you ask for tips at the resturant that you have to pay even if you didnt like the service. So what's your problem dude??

Anyway many phone companies are already thinking to make phone calls for free, especially in India. Lets say we disagree on that and lets wait what will happne in this decade
Italian Ufo

Postby crzer07 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 pm

speaking of free the government with the corporations are clamping down on streaming sites and download sites, now you can hardly find any decently free TV shows and movies.
crzer07

Postby Azevo on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 am

I foresee phone/cell phone calls being placed under your internet usage and being called "free", amalgamation is just how it will all go.

On the note of corporates making people pay more for certain things, i recall a few months ago, a computer company (I think HP?) making people pay to unlock extra processing power via the internet, I think their reasoning was something along the lines of "if people don't want to pay for that extra power, they will pay less, but they can pay for extra power if they so need it in the future"
Azevo

Postby Prolite on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 am

Azevo wrote:I foresee phone/cell phone calls being placed under your internet usage and being called "free", amalgamation is just how it will all go.

It's possible that these technologies might merge all under one service, but the service provider will likely pass these costs onto their customers, and usually in the form on hidden fees and or special contract agreements. Perhaps one could argue that at some point when a certain technology becomes redundant, such as cost of processing power over time, than one could sustain that the cost of old technology becomes arbitrary. However I would argue back that, why would one want to use old technology when much newer technology is available and more readily fits one's needs? I could see circumstances where this might be befitting, such as the cost of sending a text message through a mobile device. Perhaps one day, when phone calls are considered "arbitrarily free", most people will be community via thought process alone. So what would be the point of making a phone call? Yeah you've used a stone tool for free, but it's still just a stone tool :mrgreen:
Prolite

---------

PreviousNext

Return to The Future