Free Calls and Free Internet in 10 years?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Re: Free Calls and Free Internet in 10 years?

Postby crzer07 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 am

Prolite wrote:
Azevo wrote:I foresee phone/cell phone calls being placed under your internet usage and being called "free", amalgamation is just how it will all go.

It's possible that these technologies might merge all under one service, but the service provider will likely pass these costs onto their customers, and usually in the form on hidden fees and or special contract agreements. Perhaps one could argue that at some point when a certain technology becomes redundant, such as cost of processing power over time, than one could sustain that the cost of old technology becomes arbitrary. However I would argue back that, why would one want to use old technology when much newer technology is available and more readily fits one's needs? I could see circumstances where this might be befitting, such as the cost of sending a text message through a mobile device. Perhaps one day, when phone calls are considered "arbitrarily free", most people will be community via thought process alone. So what would be the point of making a phone call? Yeah you've used a stone tool for free, but it's still just a stone tool :mrgreen:

perhaps to bybass the fees... just like when you see hand-washing clothing as oppose to getting a washing machine? Or especially the whole point of the DIY phenomenon... Some say it works just as well.
crzer07

Postby Prolite on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

crzer07 wrote:
perhaps to bybass the fees... just like when you see hand-washing clothing as oppose to getting a washing machine? Or especially the whole point of the DIY phenomenon... Some say it works just as well.

Well, drying machines for clothes have been around for a very very long time, yet I still don't have one. I hang all my clothes on a line to dry. We can't afford a clothes dryer. Perhaps a "DIY" (do it yourself) culture might arise out of future technology that makes things simple for the ordinary person, such as the revolution now with Microsoft Kinect. Hackers are using their programming knowledge to using existing technology such as the Kinect to satisfy their own needs. And I seriously doubt that ALL of these hackers are the most brilliant computer programmers. And perhaps ordinary people can use the output that these hackers create to make our own video games in 3d simply by downloading these hacker's 3d software environment made simple. I'm just pointing out one example. What if there's a "hacker's program" in the future for designing your own robot, and programming it to by simply telling the software what you want the robot to do. I could see robots being designed in people's ordinary homes from 3d printing combined with very smart programs that program other programs, as stated prior.
Prolite

Postby crzer07 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:04 am

Prolite wrote:
crzer07 wrote:

Well, drying machines for clothes have been around for a very very long time, yet I still don't have one. I hang all my clothes on a line to dry. We can't afford a clothes dryer. Perhaps a "DIY" (do it yourself) culture might arise out of future technology that makes things simple for the ordinary person, such as the revolution now with Microsoft Kinect. Hackers are using their programming knowledge to using existing technology such as the Kinect to satisfy their own needs. And I seriously doubt that ALL of these hackers are the most brilliant computer programmers. And perhaps ordinary people can use the output that these hackers create to make our own video games in 3d simply by downloading these hacker's 3d software environment made simple. I'm just pointing out one example. What if there's a "hacker's program" in the future for designing your own robot, and programming it to by simply telling the software what you want the robot to do. I could see robots being designed in people's ordinary homes from 3d printing combined with very smart programs that program other programs, as stated prior.

I think in the future DIY will be the most pervasive sector of the economy, aside from research and development don't you think? Something like that along with automation will render the service sector obsolete. If everyone could just "do it themselves" then there's no need for human-based services but rather they are their own services, essentially what's left is the researchers and inventors and then they start to develop applications and then the population being mostly DIYers will just have a one-time-payment just like those pre-paid non-contracted fixed term and after that they can do whatever they want with it, like make mods and customization and with open source people can contribute to make constant improvements to source codes in softwares. Do you see where I'm going with this?

But essentially all this is nothing but information for you to "do it yourself", so I can see how the transition to the age of information is like. physical material goods will be cheaper and more abundant and the "information" behind it will really be what counts. DIY, hacking and open source are just nothing but bridges into that kind of future economy.
crzer07

Postby Prolite on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 am

crzer07 wrote:
I think in the future DIY will be the most pervasive sector of the economy, aside from research and development don't you think? Something like that along with automation will render the service sector obsolete. If everyone could just "do it themselves" then there's no need for human-based services but rather they are their own services, essentially what's left is the researchers and inventors and then they start to develop applications and then the population being mostly DIYers will just have a one-time-payment just like those pre-paid non-contracted fixed term and after that they can do whatever they want with it, like make mods and customization and with open source people can contribute to make constant improvements to source codes in softwares. Do you see where I'm going with this?

But essentially all this is nothing but information for you to "do it yourself", so I can see how the transition to the age of information is like. physical material goods will be cheaper and more abundant and the "information" behind it will really be what counts. DIY, hacking and open source are just nothing but bridges into that kind of future economy.

No I don't think "do it yourself" products and/or services will be the most pervasive sector of the economy. I think the most infiltrating part of the economy will be and continue to be consumer electronics, such as ipads, smartphones, and very soon: mobile computers. The wireless market is growing at an astonishing rate:

Moreover, the mobile phone/computer market will branch into a myriad of other sectors of the economy, especially when augmented reality and physical world input/output becomes one:

In regards to "do it yourself" products, I think this market will remain relatively small because most people don't go out of their way to do things themselves, even if it's made quite simple. Most people are quite lazy, actually. Not everyone is young, invigorated with life, and wants to change the world. Most people are like sheep, they just follow the herd. That's not meant to be an insult, that's just a fact. But you're right about when you said, "information is going to be really what counts". The video posted just above proves this notion. People want to bring computers to their world, not visa-versa. We should be able to get information about anything simply by just using our own bodies, as shown in the video. In the future, information and specifically, information catered to each person's unique interests and hobbies, will become more and more valuable such as medications, vitamins, and treatment of cancer. In regards to physical material goods, they will always maintain a price structure that's based on supply and demand, and other market forces such as government regulations, taxes, and restrictions of use. Moreover, material goods are scarce; in other words, material goods are not infinite, such as oil or food, or plastics, which makes them a commodity.
Prolite

---------

Previous

Return to The Future