Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Suggestions for improving the timeline at futuretimeline.net

Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby TreeHandThing on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 am

Most of the timeline is cool, perfect, and focuses on natural trends, with plently of interesting references. Here are some examples:

2012 - Mars Science Laboratory explores Mars
2015 - Scientists resurrect the Woolly Mammoth
2027 - Carbon sequestration is underway in many nations
2080 - Polar bears face extinction
2120 - The International Space Elevator is operational
30,000 - The first wave of sub-light vessels has reached the galactic core

Then there are those with vague references that don't really support the main idea:

2079 - Practical flying cars are entering the consumer market
2130 - Large-scale civilian settlement of the Moon is underway
2140 - A North American Union is taking shape
2280 - Microbial life is confirmed on an exoplanet

Ones with references apparently ripped out of fictitious books:

2035-2040 - The final collapse of the European Union
2260 - Accelerated development of the Solar System
2500 - Mars has been terraformed

Then there are the most annoying, ones with no references at all:

2032 - Manned mission to Mars
2037 - Quantum computers are becoming available
2080 - Some humans are becoming more non-biological than biological
2160 - Mass extinctions are levelling off
2210 - A global rewilding effort is underway
2220 - The Light Year Array is operational
2230 - Antimatter-fueled starships
2700 - Venus has been terraformed
1,000,000 - Planet-sized computers are dominating the Local Group, humanity is a Type 3 civilization

Some future events that we know will occur have no references. I am specifically talking about:

2015 - New Horizons reaches Pluto

Everyone knows that this will occur...but a reference wouldn't hurt.

Is it just me or is this kind of annoying? I agree with most of the future events with no references described on the timeline, but they NEED references. In my opinion, either add references or delete the the event from the timeline. What do you guys think?

Also, there are some contradictions on the timeline. For example, on 2035 it states that robots will dominate the battlefield, and that

In fact, only the poorest or most desperate enemies are fielding human troops against this new and deadly force.

and

Some can even turn themselves invisible through the use of metamaterials.

But on 2065, it states that metamaterials blocking visible light had just been invented, and that human soldiers were wearing them. I am the only annoyed one here?
Last edited by TreeHandThing on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
TreeHandThing

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:53 am

Wjfox is only human and as far as i know the only one constructing the timeline. So he needs people to do what you are doing, to spot the inconsitancies and errors.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby crzer07 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 am

How can there be references for events beyond say 2200? I'd say from that point onwards is pure speculation and it's in the realm of the far future. And I think the timeline ultimately follows the most desired outcome of what we are trying to achieve and alot may be from science fiction like colonizing other star systems.
Though I question how he manage to pin point some events on certain dates, like how when we will have flying cars and an NAU taking shape.
crzer07

Postby Time_Traveller on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 am

crzer07 wrote:How can there be references for events beyond say 2200? I'd say from that point onwards is pure speculation and it's in the realm of the far future. And I think the timeline ultimately follows the most desired outcome of what we are trying to achieve and alot may be from science fiction like colonizing other star systems.
Though I question how he manage to pin point some events on certain dates, like how when we will have flying cars and an NAU taking shape.

I don't think we'll have flying cars until 2100AD and Beyond.
Time_Traveller

Postby Craven on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am

I'm new here and this thread is confusing. Isn't this point of this site? To make predictions with just plausible basis. How can you expect strong references with something like that?
Craven

Postby TreeHandThing on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Craven wrote:I'm new here and this thread is confusing. Isn't this point of this site? To make predictions with just plausible basis. How can you expect strong references with something like that?

Mainly the ones without references are the ones that are pure guesswork. For example, at 2700, it states:

With lush tropical oceans, Venus now has two large, dominant landmasses - Aphrodite and Ishtar - along with a number of smaller subcontinents and islands. The average surface temperature has stabilised at around 25°C.

How is he supposed to know which continents will be on Venus, and exactly what they would be called? That isn't a " prediction with a plausible basis ", it belongs in a science fiction book.

How can there be references for events beyond say 2200? I'd say from that point onwards is pure speculation and it's in the realm of the far future.

There are plenty of dates beyond 2200 that make sense and have interesting references. For example;

2240 - Christianity is disappearing from America
2600 - Plastics are disappearing from the Earth's biosphere
3000 - Pure biological humans are 7ft tall and have lifespans of 120 years
30,000 - The first sub-light vessels has reached the galactic core
TreeHandThing

Postby crzer07 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:02 am

ah when you say fictitious the average person would think it's synonomous with optimistic.

But with all that aside don't you think the timeline itself is abit too optimistic? I mean we may not even have a future at all let alone all the other events. It is equally as plausible that humanity is not smart enough and destroys itself. So therefore creating a timeline is kinda moot and pointless without first discussing how we will take measures to prevent catastrophes and make ourselves smarter... or make the timeline end sometime between 2100-2200 and whatever is after that is impossible to predict and you make it fork into two different directions based on two distinct category: humanity successfully survives and attains Type I status and humanity is 'gone the way of the dodo'; Type I civilization failed. I think this is the most logical way to make the timeline, and most would agree.

hmm... but this would be a whole different topic I'm going to make.
crzer07

Postby TreeHandThing on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:15 am

The timeline is based on trends in our civilization. Supporting a statement that isn't backed up in science, like saying that Venus will have " lush tropical oceans ", and having " two dominant landmasses called Aphrodite and Ishtar " is like supporting astrology. Saying that Venus will have two landmasses with detailed names is fictitious, not optimistic.
TreeHandThing

Postby crzer07 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:43 am

yeah it's pretty detailed how it is described, kinda like he's writing a sci-fi novel. Maybe it's meant to be partly fact and partly fiction and how it entices or entertains the possibility of it.

btw why are the areas on Venus the names sound so feminine? Does that mean Mars gonna have names like "Argos Land", "Asgard Sea", "Thor Penninsula", "Valhalla City", "Lake Anasazi", "Nietze Island", and "Neo Sparta"?
crzer07

Postby Italian Ufo on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:22 am

2015 - Scientists resurrect the Woolly Mammoth

This might be possible.
Italian Ufo

---------

Next

Return to Brainstorm