Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Suggestions for improving the timeline at futuretimeline.net

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby TreeHandThing on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 am

I don't even think that Venus or Mars will be terraformed.

1: First of all, to survive the Martian atmosphere, all you have to do is genetically engineer the human body. No need for terraforming.

2: Terraforming Mars will cost around 10 quadrillion dollars. What a waste of money!
TreeHandThing
User avatar
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby crzer07 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:45 pm

TreeHandThing wrote:I don't even think that Venus or Mars will be terraformed.

1: First of all, to survive the Martian atmosphere, all you have to do is genetically engineer the human body. No need for terraforming.

2: Terraforming Mars will cost around 10 quadrillion dollars. What a waste of money!


Maybe it costs that much based on our current technological capability, but exponential growth in technology usually brings the cost down and I'm sure we can do it 300 years from now when we're advance enough.

Mars can be a habitat for other life as well like animals and plants it would be like creating another world. I think it's a good idea.
crzer07
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby TreeHandThing on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:12 pm

crzer07 wrote:Mars can be a habitat for other life as well like animals and plants it would be like creating another world. I think it's a good idea.


Why do you need to create another world? Is Earth not good enough? Besides, you are basically killing the beauty of Mars by transforming it into Earth.
TreeHandThing
User avatar
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Italian Ufo wrote:2015 - Scientists resurrect the Woolly Mammoth

This might be possible.


that was a good example ufo.
ExplorerAtHeart
User avatar
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Deep Space

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby crzer07 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:53 pm

TreeHandThing wrote:
crzer07 wrote:Mars can be a habitat for other life as well like animals and plants it would be like creating another world. I think it's a good idea.


Why do you need to create another world? Is Earth not good enough? Besides, you are basically killing the beauty of Mars by transforming it into Earth.


Mars is considered dead and maybe lifeless, but they say it had a bit of liquid sometime in the past... and why is it killing the "beauty" of it if anything it would make it more beautiful. It won't look exactly like Earth though.
crzer07
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby TreeHandThing on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:09 pm

crzer07 wrote:Mars is considered dead and maybe lifeless, but they say it had a bit of liquid sometime in the past... and why is it killing the "beauty" of it if anything it would make it more beautiful.


Mars is considered dead? Mars is not dead, it is a natural wonder. Just because life isn't there doesn't mean it is dead.

Let's take Mt. Everest for example. Would you carve Mt. Everest to make a monument to some political leader? No, Mt. Everest is a beautiful example of our planet's plate tectonics, just like Mars is a beautiful example of our solar system. No one ( except maybe you ) would want to destroy Mt. Everest, so why Mars? Sheesh, learn to appreciate the universe you live in.
TreeHandThing
User avatar
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Same thing with Venus. Though I would like to make a little modification and take that really thick atmosphere away.

Or float on it with floating cities.

oohh i can't make up my mind :S :|
ExplorerAtHeart
User avatar
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Deep Space

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby Craven on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:00 am

TreeHandThing wrote:Mars is considered dead? Mars is not dead, it is a natural wonder. Just because life isn't there doesn't mean it is dead.

Let's take Mt. Everest for example. Would you carve Mt. Everest to make a monument to some political leader? No, Mt. Everest is a beautiful example of our planet's plate tectonics, just like Mars is a beautiful example of our solar system. No one ( except maybe you ) would want to destroy Mt. Everest, so why Mars? Sheesh, learn to appreciate the universe you live in.


That's all cute and green but I'm ******* human and my genes tell me they want to ensure my survival and best way to do it is by spreading to all regions of my home planet, in case of some big tragedy or pandemic, then to all planets in my star system that can be terraformed or somehow adjusted for my needs. Then to nearby star systems in case of even bigger cataclysm.

Darwin says we terraform Mars whenever it's possible and affordable. Or go straight for Europa or nearby goldilock planet.
Craven
User avatar
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby TreeHandThing on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 am

Do you have a problem with simply genetically engineering your body to survive in the Martian atmosphere?
TreeHandThing
User avatar
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Get rid of fictitious material on the timeline

Postby crzer07 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:24 am

TreeHandThing wrote:Mars is considered dead? Mars is not dead, it is a natural wonder. Just because life isn't there doesn't mean it is dead.

Let's take Mt. Everest for example. Would you carve Mt. Everest to make a monument to some political leader? No, Mt. Everest is a beautiful example of our planet's plate tectonics, just like Mars is a beautiful example of our solar system. No one ( except maybe you ) would want to destroy Mt. Everest, so why Mars? Sheesh, learn to appreciate the universe you live in.


Terraforming = destruction?... more like adding elements to a pre-existing form to enhance the design/features, there is not much there to "take away" so more to gain than there is to lose. More or less working with a clean slate (given that there is no pre-existing evolving life). I don't know why you see it as a subtractive process/methodology, or so passionately against it.
And besides, a Globus Cassus would fit better to your Mt. Everest analogy.

but none the less subjective aesthetic appeal or metaphysical/teleological beliefs alone is not a good enough objection to not do something.

and of course appreciating something and making some changes doesn't have to be a false dichotomy either.
crzer07
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm
---------

PreviousNext

Return to Brainstorm

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron