How Creationism (Religion) Poisons Everything

Post interesting pics, videos and artwork here.

How Creationism (Religion) Poisons Everything

Postby crzer07 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 am

A look at conservative, Young Earth creationists and Biblical literalists and their influence in society and politics shaping modern day power and control. One may argue or claim that religion does more harm than good, or that the bad outweighs the good in an overall grand scheme world perspective... but there is no sufficient evidence and there is just too much to factor in for that justification.

Last edited by crzer07 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzer07

Re: How Creationism Poisons Everything

Postby classical piano guy on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:40 pm

All the bill does is "force" teachers to present evolution as theory and not law (which is fine, since it is, in fact, called the "Theory of Evolution"). Few professors will actually comply, and the Supreme Court will ultimately strike it down.

classical piano guy

Postby truthiness on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh, here we go again...

"Evolution is just a theory"... makes me laugh every time.

Evolution is not "just a theory", its "the theory" - the lynchpin holding together all biology, proven over and over and over again through fossil, DNA, anatomical, and directly observed evidence.

Of course there are other theories. There are always other theories - for everything - we could teach the theory that the world is entirely a computer simulation, or the theory that the sun and planets revolve around the Earth, or that earthquakes are caused by mole people mining geodes somewhere near the crust-mantle boundary. We could waste a whole lot of time teaching nonsense without evidence. Evidence sorts baloney from truth. Evidence supports evolution, very strongly.

We teach that which we can prove so far with evidence, and we teach the method with which to test new hypotheses, so that hopefully we can find out if earthquakes really are caused by those mole people. That's how we teach science. That's how we advance as a race.
truthiness

Postby classical piano guy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 pm

truthiness wrote:Oh, here we go again...

Evolution is not "just a theory", its "the theory" - the lynchpin holding together all biology, proven over and over and over again through fossil, DNA, anatomical, and directly observed evidence.

Of course there are other theories. There are always other theories - for everything - we could teach the theory that the world is entirely a computer simulation, or the theory that the sun and planets revolve around the Earth, or that earthquakes are caused by mole people mining geodes somewhere near the crust-mantle boundary. We could waste a whole lot of time teaching nonsense without evidence. Evidence sorts baloney from truth. Evidence supports evolution, very strongly.

We teach that which we can prove so far with evidence, and we teach the method with which to test new hypotheses, so that hopefully we can find out if earthquakes really are caused by those mole people. That's how we teach science. That's how we advance as a race.

You seem to be confusing the scientific term "theory" with some colloquial expression synonymous with the word "idea." Hypotheses are only elevated to theory status after they have been verified by immense quantities of evidence. They can essentially be regarded accurate to a probability about 99.95%. However, until something absolutely incontrovertible is presented, a theory cannot be called a law. That's why relativity, quantum mechanics, and evolution -- though universally accepted by the scientific community -- are all still designated "theories." Thus, by calling evolution a theory in the classroom, all a person really saying (to anyone who actually understands the term) is that all our current knowledge of science points to this conclusion, but not all aspects of it are considered infallible.

In other words, there is no such thing as a "baloney" theory.

Not even scientific laws are free from blemish though, as indicated when Einstein noted that Newton's law of gravity was incomplete.

Also, I obviously realize that evolution is undeniable (with the possibility of a slight qualification due to recent discoveries in quantum physics, which I won't go into at the moment), or I wouldn't have posted that video...
classical piano guy

Postby truthiness on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

classical piano guy wrote:You seem to be confusing the scientific term "theory" with some colloquial expression synonymous with the word "idea." Hypotheses are only elevated to theory status after they have been verified by immense quantities of evidence. They can essentially be regarded accurate to a probability about 99.95%. However, until something absolutely incontrovertible is presented, a theory cannot be called a law. That's why relativity, quantum mechanics, and evolution -- though universally accepted by the scientific community -- are all still designated "theories." Thus, by calling evolution a theory in the classroom, all a person really saying (to anyone who actually understands the term) is that all our current knowledge of science points to this conclusion, but not all aspects of it are considered infallible.

In other words, there is no such thing as a "baloney" theory.

Not even scientific laws are free from blemish though, as indicated when Einstein noted that Newton's law of gravity was incomplete.

Also, I obviously realize that evolution is undeniable (with the possibility of a slight qualification due to recent discoveries in quantum physics, which I won't go into at the moment), or I wouldn't have posted that video...

I should have put quotes around the supposed "theories" that I mentioned... I had meant these as a means to illustrate a comparable "theory" to intelligent design (creationism) - "theories" that lack evidence - (not scientific theories at all). A widespread problem that we struggle with is the common use of the word "theory" to mean "a personal untested idea". I try to remind people that they don't have a theory, that they have a hypothesis. And I look like a jerk.

What discoveries in quantum physics?
truthiness

Postby Prolite on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:29 pm

If the word semantics was a god, it would be pretty pissed right now.
Prolite

Postby classical piano guy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 pm

truthiness wrote:What discoveries in quantum physics?

Due to the potential role of consciousness in the collapse of the wave function, I think it's possible (though unlikely) that, in addition to the influence of survival of the fittest, the evolutionary process could be so ordered to progress from less intelligent to more intelligent. However, that's pure speculation at the present, and much more research is necessary before I would even call it a hypothesis.
classical piano guy

Postby TreeHandThing on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 pm

truthiness wrote:Oh, here we go again...

You are just aching for an argument with UFO, aren't you? :D
TreeHandThing

Postby crzer07 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 am

classical piano guy wrote:However, until something absolutely incontrovertible is presented, a theory cannot be called a law.

You may find that theories are what contains embodiment of laws and hypothesis. Any higher levels of truth, certainty or proof will be dealt in the realms of mathematics.
crzer07

Re: How Creationism (Religion) Poisons Everything

Postby Random Guy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 am

FOX NEWS IS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF F***ED UP PROPAGANDA!!! THEY MIGHT AS WELL RENAME THEMSELVES FOX BULL****!!!
But I didn't watch what you posted, so I'm not sure if you're with me in that FACT.
Random Guy

Location: Sector 7, District of New York, United States of America
---------

Return to Visions