How Many of you used to observe the sky at night?

Off-topic discussions go here!

How Many of you used to observe the sky at night?

Postby Italian Ufo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 pm

I remember when I was 7-12 me and my brother used to knock at our wall's house to call our neighbours of our same age to go out of the balcony to observe the sky. it was usually after dinner from 10 to 1 or 2 in the morning. We and our neighbours used to save money in order to buy a very powerful binocular. I remember watching the stars falling down at night and express a wish. I remember us fantasizing of extraterrestrials, sometimes to scare ourselves others just to imagine a better civilization. Looking at the sky we would tell eachother about our life histroies, or imagine our future while feeling the breeze on our skin. I will never forget when I saw for the first time Saturn with its rings... It was a surprise for us...We were not able to locate it..we used to be able to locate, the moon, mars, venus, mercury and the Ursa Major.
I wonder how many of you, used or still watch the sky? Can you please share your memories about watching the sky at night? I would like to hear your stories.
Italian Ufo

Re: How Many of you used to observe the sky at night?

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:10 am

Every night and day! I remember getting up on a crisp morning before the dawn for a jog, i randomly looked straight up the same instant a huge meteor made a long streak against the starry sky. There was also an event here a few years ago(like 2) where there was this weird sonic boom, i heard it. It was twilight and many people say the saw a weird looking green thing streak from north to south towards the east. News articles said it was an object entering the atmosphere that may or may not have been manmade. It was estimated to land in the ocean 200 miles off south carolina.

There is a small planetarium 3 km away from my house with a telescope i visit. There is also a another neat plnetarium at the college i go to. Ive gone to several shows such as one about exoplnets that was epic.

here is a low quality trailer of the show

Shot from the show. the show presented real planets then speculated on some other possibilities. I was thrilled by how conceptually accurate it was.

the planetarium is in the circular area of the building, they plan to open it to the public soon, its only for current students atm

The night sky is not so spectacular right here due to light pollution. but i remember trips to the appalachians 300km away it it is dark. i am giong back in may so i will e able to observe well!

*edit, i just realized this was post 500!! what a wonder ful post for 500!!
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Italian Ufo on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 am

Thats a very beautiful description, I wish pepole could post more.
Italian Ufo

Postby Azevo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:16 am

Light pollution has destroyed the "sky-scape" if that is a word, use to have a telescope until to many new sub-division destroyed the night sky with street lights and such.

Only just recently has there been research into the affect of light on Animals, they tend to confuse city lights over the horizon as the sunrise, and is confusing migratory animals.
Azevo

---------

Return to Off-topic section