How many people will be in the future

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Re: How many people will be in the future

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 am

Id rather be the AI. There is no reason why I cannot augment myself to become a super intelligent Archailect.

I would rather live eternally roaming space, with virtual reality sandboxes for the parts in deep space.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby crzer07 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:59 pm

TreeHandThing wrote:
crzer07 wrote:I am just wondering, if we're all gonna be in a virtual world then that would be like The Matrix. Essentially if AI machines will make all the decisions wouldn't we be handing all the power to them? It would be their civilization and not ours, and we could be commodities and they become our ownership. Ultimately we will become complacent.

Would you rather physically live in the real world, or live eternally in a personal heaven?

Who really care if AI dominate anyway? 10 million years in the future, they will be quadrillions of times smarter than any human. Surely they will make the best decisions.

So i guess The Matrix situation is good then?

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Id rather be the AI. There is no reason why I cannot augment myself to become a super intelligent Archailect.

I would rather live eternally roaming space, with virtual reality sandboxes for the parts in deep space.

lol you might as well die trying, because you have to survive past present normal life expectancy first, which I doubt the majority will. I figured only the privileged and the prestige will have the option to augment themselves or extend their life. Because of overpopulation there will be restrictions on the poor and middle class through artificial scarcity. The near future will be the climax of social Darwinism.
crzer07

Postby Prolite on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 am

crzer07 wrote:
TreeHandThing wrote:
crzer07 wrote:I am just wondering, if we're all gonna be in a virtual world then that would be like The Matrix. Essentially if AI machines will make all the decisions wouldn't we be handing all the power to them? It would be their civilization and not ours, and we could be commodities and they become our ownership. Ultimately we will become complacent.

Would you rather physically live in the real world, or live eternally in a personal heaven?

Who really care if AI dominate anyway? 10 million years in the future, they will be quadrillions of times smarter than any human. Surely they will make the best decisions.

So i guess The Matrix situation is good then?

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Id rather be the AI. There is no reason why I cannot augment myself to become a super intelligent Archailect.

lol you might as well die trying, because you have to survive past present normal life expectancy first, which I doubt the majority will. I figured only the privileged and the prestige will have the option to augment themselves or extend their life. Because of overpopulation there will be restrictions on the poor and middle class through artificial scarcity. The near future will be the climax of social Darwinism.

Seriously dude. Become a supernatural? How much have you had to drink? Until we become a Type II civilization -- which won't even happen in your great great great great great great great great great grandkid's lifetime, why would you expect that to happen in your own lifetime? You need to stop hitten' them bars. lol.. :mrgreen:
Prolite

Postby crzer07 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:06 pm

yes as far as I'm concerned I don't think there will really be a way to preserve ourselves in any way shape or form before we die in our lifetimes. Even if the cure for aging is viable we will pass out by old age right before the price drops economically, and mind uploading won't be at least a century away. We will just have to involuntarily die out, but the good thing is we will be the last generation who won't have the option. At least I hope a holographic device is created by that time to record all my memory and information, or even a holographic recreation of my character :D at least not everything will be lost.
crzer07

Postby classical piano guy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:28 pm

crzer07 wrote:yes as far as I'm concerned I don't think there will really be a way to preserve ourselves in any way shape or form before we die in our lifetimes. Even if the cure for aging is viable we will pass out by old age right before the price drops economically, and mind uploading won't be at least a century away. We will just have to involuntarily die out, but the good thing is we will be the last generation who won't have the option. At least I hope a holographic device is created by that time to record all my memory and information, or even a holographic recreation of my character :D at least not everything will be lost.

Crezer07, you underestimate the exponential. I'm fairly confident that at the very least the upper/(high) middle class of every generation from the late sixties/early seventies onward will be able to afford longevity extension treatments. At first, they will merely slow aging down, and the government, faced with overpopulation, will be reluctant to subsidize the procedures (as they will significantly increase the retired population). Thus, the charge of payment will lie with all of us. However, refinements will occur quickly, a huge price drop will soon follow, and pretty much everyone alive around 2070 will be given the opportunity to live indefinitely.

And Prolite, well, you just ignore the exponential altogether.
classical piano guy

Postby Prolite on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:11 am

classical piano guy wrote:
And Prolite, well, you just ignore the exponential altogether.

lol.. yeah ok.
Prolite

Postby crzer07 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am

In 2070 I will be over 80 years old lol... which is the average life span.
crzer07

Postby classical piano guy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:14 pm

crzer07 wrote:In 2070 I will be over 80 years old lol... which is the average life span.

Now...

At the present moment, the average life expectancy is increasing by 2 months every year. However, since progress in the field of medicine has only very recently entered an exponential curve, that rate will undoubtedly shoot up.

In 20 years, the normal lifespan will be almost 90; another 20 years -- over 100 (at least, in first world countries). Then, the first anti-aging procedures will hit the market, and longevity will extend even further -- 120, 150, 200, etc. If you will only be 80 in 2070, you basically have nothing to worry about.
classical piano guy

Postby crzer07 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 am

classical piano guy wrote:
crzer07 wrote:In 2070 I will be over 80 years old lol... which is the average life span.

Now...

At the present moment, the average life expectancy is increasing by 2 months every year. However, since progress in the field of medicine has only very recently entered an exponential curve, that rate will undoubtedly shoot up.

In 20 years, the normal lifespan will be almost 90; another 20 years -- over 100 (at least, in first world countries). Then, the first anti-aging procedures will hit the market, and longevity will extend even further -- 120, 150, 200, etc. If you will only be 80 in 2070, you basically have nothing to worry about.

you know I thought it all depends on the individual and how they maintain their own bodies. I've been living the same way since years ago, i have not done anything drastically different with my health since life expectancy was supposedly abit lower. what exactly is making me endure 2 months more every year?

given that if I continue living the same normal lifestyle, what will happen to me 20 years later that enable me to gain a few more years?
crzer07

Postby classical piano guy on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:31 pm

It has nothing to do with your lifestyle. Longevity isn't where it is today because mankind just suddenly decided to become healthy 50 years ago. In fact, there are many people alive today who will reach 70 with eating habits and living conditions no better than those of people from the 16th and 17th century (when the life expectancy was under 50).

While nutrition can help, what really prolongs life is all the drugs, surgeries, and procedures we have developed overthe years. Blood pressure medicine alone has significantly extended the lives of millions of men and women. In the next 30 years, we will see breakthroughs in stem cell research that will allow people to regrow organs from their own spinal cells and effectively give themselves a transplant. Need quadruple bypass? Just get a new heart instead. Not to mention medical nanobots, cures for common illnesses such as the cold (which actually used to be fatal), genetic/DNA treatments, etc.
classical piano guy

---------

Previous

Return to The Future