Human Teleportation?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Human Teleportation?

Postby Time_Traveller on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 am

I was looking at the timeline in the mid 22nd and it doesn't have human teleportation from then on, can you wjfox put it on the timeline about the late 23rd maybe 2280.
Last edited by Time_Traveller on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Time_Traveller

Re: Human Teleportation?

Postby Prolite on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Human teleportation in the next 200 years!? Are you out of your mind? Not gonna happen. How would you teleport brain waves? I'd like to hear this one.
Prolite

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 am

I don't like teleportation at all.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby wjfox2009 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:24 am

I found a reference that states it may happen in 200-300 years, if current trends in computing power continue -

"...For the teleporter to process and transmit the quantum bit information signal that encodes the
animate/inanimate object’s pattern will require stupendous digital computer power. For each atom
comprising the object we must encode its location in space (three position coordinates), its linear and
angular momentum (three vector components for each quantity), and its internal quantum state (electron
orbital-energy levels and their excitation/de-excitation and ionization states, binding to other atoms to
form molecules, molecular vibrational/rotational states, bound nuclei states, spin states for electrons and
nuclei, etc.), etc. If we assume that we can digitally encode all of this information for a single atom with
a minimum of one kilobyte (1 byte = 8 bits, 1 bit ≡ 0 or 1) of data, then we will require a minimum of
10^28 kilobytes to encode and store an entire human being (in three-dimensions). To digitally store and
access this much information at present (and for the foreseeable future) is nontrivial. It will take more
than 2,400 times the present age of the universe (≈ 13 billion years) to access this amount of data using
commercially available computers (operating at ≈ 10 gigabyte/sec). Top-of-the-line supercomputers will
not reduce this time significantly. The computer technology needed to handle such a large data storage
requirement simply does not exist. The largest commercially available computers can store ≈ 40
gigabytes on a single hard drive. We will need ≈ 10^20 of these hard drives to store the encoded
information of just one human being. Also, wire and coaxial/fiber optic cables do not have the physical
capacity to transmit this amount of data between devices. These numbers will not be significantly
different for macroscopic inanimate objects. The information processing and transfer technology required
for the teleportation system may become possible in 200 – 300 years if improvements in computer storage
and speed maintains a factor of 10 – 100 increase for every decade. There is speculation that emergent
molecular, bio-molecular (DNA-based systems) and quantum computer technology may achieve the
performances required for a teleportation system."
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Wesfky on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:00 am

"The largest commercially available computers can store ≈ 40 gigabytes on a single hard drive."

seriously, how old is that reference? 40gb, haha.

also
Wesfky

Postby classical piano guy on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Prolite wrote:Human teleportation in the next 200 years!? Are you out of your mind? Not gonna happen. How would you teleport brain waves? I'd like to hear this one.

Why do you refuse to accept the indisputable fact that technology advances exponentially?

^x%29+plot+x+from+0+to+20 (Hmm, the link cuts off before the carrot, just highlight the whole thing.)

That's the curve on which computing power is progressing. Notice that it starts relatively low and then shoots upward. Human teleportation will be accomplished in 275 years at the most.
classical piano guy

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Im more afraid of the idea it may kill you to teleport you.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Azevo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:19 am

classical piano guy wrote:
Prolite wrote:Human teleportation in the next 200 years!? Are you out of your mind? Not gonna happen. How would you teleport brain waves? I'd like to hear this one.

Why do you refuse to accept the indisputable fact that technology advances exponentially?

^x%29+plot+x+from+0+to+20 (Hmm, the link cuts off before the carrot, just highlight the whole thing.)

That's the curve on which computing power is progressing. Notice that it starts relatively low and then shoots upward. Human teleportation will be accomplished in 275 years at the most.

That is all accounting on political and economic stability, which Kurzweilians seem to think it doesn't matter.
Azevo

Postby wjfox2009 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:19 am

Azevo wrote:That is all accounting on political and economic stability, which Kurzweilians seem to think it doesn't matter.

Indeed. This is the main reason I'm skeptical about the Singularity. I think it's far more likely we're heading for economic collapse, by mid-century at the latest, soon after followed by catastrophic environmental decline.
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Azevo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:12 am

wjfox2009 wrote:
Azevo wrote:That is all accounting on political and economic stability, which Kurzweilians seem to think it doesn't matter.

Indeed. This is the main reason I'm skeptical about the Singularity. I think it's far more likely we're heading for economic collapse, by mid-century at the latest, soon after followed by catastrophic environmental decline.

It is something which proponents of Singularity or LEV (Longevity escape velocity) fail to acknowledge, Kurzweil and De Grey themselves have acknowledged it and admit their theories do rely on stability around the world. Without the funds or stability for such things to come true, they may as well stay a theory.
Azevo

---------

Next

Return to The Future