Human Teleportation?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Re: Human Teleportation?

Postby Saradus on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:29 pm

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Im more afraid of the idea it may kill you to teleport you.

Agreed. While I believe it may be plausible that technology will be capable of 'teleporting humans' in the future, the issue is more of an ethical and philosophical one. The idea that teleportation destroys the molecules at one location and then recreates them at another begs the question of whether the person has died and a replica of them has been made. Is the new person at the other end really the same one that first teleported? Chances are we'd never know either because the new person may think that he's the original and the true original would be lost forever. It's a chilling thought.
Saradus

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Saradus wrote:
Agreed. While I believe it may be plausible that technology will be capable of 'teleporting humans' in the future, the issue is more of an ethical and philosophical one. The idea that teleportation destroys the molecules at one location and then recreates them at another begs the question of whether the person has died and a replica of them has been made. Is the new person at the other end really the same one that first teleported? Chances are we'd never know either because the new person may think that he's the original and the true original would be lost forever. It's a chilling thought.

Thats what I am terrified of. It would disrupt continuity of the conscience.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby classical piano guy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Azevo wrote:That is all accounting on political and economic stability, which Kurzweilians seem to think it doesn't matter.

Economic stability is really unnecessary. The top scientists and researchers will always have enough resources to continue forward. Note that the "Second Industrial Revolution" occurred during a significant economic recession, and the Manhattan Project began in the midst of the Great Depression.

Political conflict, though, could be a problem. As of now, the Middle East (and possibly one or two countries in the Far East) is my only true concern in regards to the future of technology.

If international relations holds up, teleportation of matter as complex as the human person will be accomplished in 250-275 years at the absolute latest.
classical piano guy

Postby Azevo on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 am

classical piano guy wrote:Economic stability is really unnecessary. The top scientists and researchers will always have enough resources to continue forward. Note that the "Second Industrial Revolution" occurred during a significant economic recession, and the Manhattan Project began in the midst of the Great Depression.

I do not think that industrial revolutions can be compared with the complex and irresponsible economics of today, I have always believed that the industrial revolution(s) were successful due to products being manufactured using local resources, with the odd exception.

I would think that a huge economic revolution will have to happen for Singularity to come true, I would guess you would primarily be talking about a different kind of revolution to the industrial if we went down that path. I have heard this term coined by a colleague, "the A.I revolution" which is expected to come from this singularity. I would think a Kurzwellian would be screaming "ROBOTS!" and such at me right now.
Azevo

Postby Tumaini09 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Saradus wrote: The idea that teleportation destroys the molecules at one location and then recreates them at another begs the question of whether the person has died and a replica of them has been made..

Given the cosmologically-huge computing power and subatomic precision of disassembly/assembly required for such a teleportation system - not to mention the ethical and philosophical issues - I don't believe it will ever happen. I too would be terrified to use it, and the only human test subjects likely to volunteer would be those who already didn't want to go on living!

That does not preclude the possibility of some other kind of teleportation: one based on opening temporary wormholes, higher-dimensional shortcuts from one location to another, through which people and objects could pass without being disassembled.
Tumaini09

Postby Prolite on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Being disassembled atom by atom, quark by quark, and string by string, has got to be the most painful thing someone could ever experience. :x
Prolite

Postby MissTomorrow on Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 am

Tumaini09 wrote:That does not preclude the possibility of some other kind of teleportation: one based on opening temporary wormholes, higher-dimensional shortcuts from one location to another, through which people and objects could pass without being disassembled.

Thats the only kind of teleportation I could beleive in.. but can you realy call it teleportation, not space-folding or sliding?

Prolite wrote:Being disassembled atom by atom, quark by quark, and string by string, has got to be the most painful thing someone could ever experience.

Yes, I guess people would have to be druggd 1st & make the teleport unconcsious. If you went through awake you'd go mad.. :evil:
MissTomorrow

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 am

That does not preclude the possibility of some other kind of teleportation: one based on opening temporary wormholes, higher-dimensional shortcuts from one location to another, through which people and objects could pass without being disassembled.

That i don't mind =D
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Saradus on Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Tumaini09 wrote:
Saradus wrote:That does not preclude the possibility of some other kind of teleportation: one based on opening temporary wormholes, higher-dimensional shortcuts from one location to another, through which people and objects could pass without being disassembled.

As well as being much more ethically-sound, this would effectively mean 'faster-than-light' travel, which would be better than the previously-discussed method of destroying and reassembling (as the data would need to be transferred and would be still be bound by the speed of light).
Saradus

---------

Previous

Return to The Future