Mile high skyscraper planned in Saudi Arabia

Latest news, scientific discoveries and world events.

Mile high skyscraper planned in Saudi Arabia

Postby Nick1984 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Regardless of whether this building actually gets developed, we seem to get closer each year to having cities like Coruscant...

Nick1984

Re: Mile high skyscraper planned in Saudi Arabia

Postby wjfox2009 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 am

For once, I agree with the comments of the Daily Mail readers. An obscene and pointless display of wealth.
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Tumaini09 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 am

Not necessarily... such super high rises, if they can be economically and technologically viable, may be the ultimate answer to the problem of living space. It may serve as a model for the shape of future cities: residential, commercial and industrial zones all within one structure, and perhaps vertical hydroponic farms as well?

A city consisting primarily of a dozen such megastructures could have a population of millions, but a land footprint far smaller than major cities of today. More room for parks, woodlands and wildlife.
Tumaini09

Postby crzer07 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:15 am

Tumaini09 wrote:Not necessarily... such super high rises, if they can be economically and technologically viable, may be the ultimate answer to the problem of living space. It may serve as a model for the shape of future cities: residential, commercial and industrial zones all within one structure, and perhaps vertical hydroponic farms as well?

A city consisting primarily of a dozen such megastructures could have a population of millions, but a land footprint far smaller than major cities of today. More room for parks, woodlands and wildlife.

I've talked about this in the thread "earth's future infrastructure" ;)
crzer07

Postby Saradus on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:09 pm

The burj fits well into the dubai skyline, it just works. This, however, looks like quite the eyesore. I think it spoils the landscape.
Saradus

Postby TreeHandThing on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 pm

wjfox2009 wrote:For once, I agree with the comments of the Daily Mail readers. An obscene and pointless display of wealth.

Yep.

I don't think any skyscrapers NEED to be taller than the Willis Tower. What's the point? The Burj was made only to say " see, we made a taller one than you! ", and Dubai nearly went bankrupt when it was completed.
TreeHandThing

---------

Return to In the news