New Zealand earthquake: Rescuers work through night

Latest news, scientific discoveries and world events.

New Zealand earthquake: Rescuers work through night

Postby Time_Traveller on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Rescuers are toiling overnight in New Zealand to reach scores of trapped people after a 6.3-magnitude earthquake which has claimed at least 65 lives.

From

What do members think the future of New Zealand will be after this Earthquake and should it go in the timeline.
Time_Traveller

Re: New Zealand earthquake: Rescuers work through night

Postby Azevo on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 am

As i am from New Zealand, I am getting bombarded with images everyday of the quake, i have already donated a couple of hundey to the Red Cross and have offered a bed for anyone who is in my town looking for accommodation.

The only purpose it would have in the timeline would be that it is potentially the biggest insurance claim the world has ever seen. Supposedly 350,000-400,000 people will be filing insurance claims from the damage caused by the quake. Payouts ranging from property or automobile damage to business damage, probably looking at an insurance pay out of 80 billion - 100 billion New Zealand dollars, so about 60-90 billion USD. These are early figures but claims from the last quake were about 20 billions if memory serves, with only 100,000 filing claims, with the majority being residential claims, this quake has caused a much higher percentage of corporate claims.

I also think this puts things in prospective, it's like the city had an air raid on it.

Azevo

---------

Return to In the news