Second Language Translations

Suggestions for improving the timeline at futuretimeline.net

Second Language Translations

Postby crzer07 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:42 am

Have multiple language translations on the site. Not just English. That way everyone can read it. Or if this is truly collaborative then it should be a wiki.
crzer07

Re: Second Language Translations

Postby wjfox2009 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 am

Multiple languages would be an excellent idea. :)

There's no way I'm doing a Wiki though. The site would be ripped to shreds if I allowed that. :( I may do some kind of separate section where people can upload their ideas (possibly with upvoting/downvoting for each contribution)... but the timeline itself will remain under my editorial control.
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Italian Ufo on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 pm

That would be amazing.
Italian Ufo

Postby crzer07 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 am

Awesome lol

The drawback though is that online translators kinda suck, I dunno if you ever tried like Google translate and go from English to your mother tongue or vice versa the semantics utterly gets washed out due to the robotic literalism, and sentences makes no sense whatsoever. Unless you find a person who actually speaks the language and adjusts to it more smoothly. At least that's what I meant when I said "wiki".
crzer07

Postby Saradus on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Of course, if there were translations, there's no way online translators would be used, it would look completely wrong even at the best of times (IIRC there's lots of stuff on the timeline about future advancements in translation technology, I eagerly await those!!)

If there are translations on the site, it would require an actual native (or at least fluent) speaker. I don't think wiki would be the way to go, it would get messy, but I'm sure if speakers of other languages wanted to contribute translations they could simply email them to Will. Better yet, there could be something on the site that allows users to translate the article in the page and the changes are sent to Will (rather than made directly to the site). No doubt there's software around to make that possible (I'm thinking in terms of Facebook's inline translating app here). Just some thoughts :)
Saradus

Postby Italian Ufo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Yes modern translators are really awfull. However Google Translator works pretty well for Italian-English\English Italian
I hope they will become more advance one day.
I am just concerned about one thing, I speak 4 languages now and this gives me a lot of advantages, it took me a lot of work, it would piss me off a bit if in the future everybody will speak and understand all the languages instantly, but I guess that is how it goes.
I hope women will still distfy "cyborg language" which comes from implants both internal and external
and "natural language" which comes from our efforts to learn it :D
Italian Ufo

Postby crzer07 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Italian Ufo wrote:Yes modern translators are really awfull. However Google Translator works pretty well for Italian-English\English Italian
I am just concerned about one thing, I speak 4 languages now and this gives me a lot of advantages, it took me a lot of work, it would piss me off a bit if in the future everybody will speak and understand all the languages instantly, but I guess that is how it goes.
I hope women will still distfy "cyborg language" which comes from implants both internal and external

Oh yeah English to any European languages is a bit better and accurate, but going from English to non Eurpean languages like Japanese is really god aweful.

why would you be pissed off, Jealousy? :?
crzer07

Postby Saradus on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 pm

crzer07 wrote:
Italian Ufo wrote:Yes modern translators are really awfull. However Google Translator works pretty well for Italian-English\English Italian

Oh yeah English to any European languages is a bit better and accurate, but going from English to non Eurpean languages like Japanese is really god aweful.

why would you be pissed off, Jealousy? :?

Because his efforts of learning 4 languages would have gone to waste when all languages can be downloaded instantly. As somebody who loves languages and wants to learn many, this worries me as well.
Saradus

Postby crzer07 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:27 am

Saradus wrote:Because his efforts of learning 4 languages would have gone to waste when all languages can be downloaded instantly. As somebody who loves languages and wants to learn many, this worries me as well.

I see... lol better stop now before you waste any more effort, and wait until you can download everything. You'd figure that's the smart thing to do. :D

But it's not all a waste... thinking about it you'd come to realize that you have advantage over others knowing 4 languages, that is until you can just download into your head. In a sense, your Superiority is only available for a limited time only lol.

Then again I'm only speaking from the perspective of an egotistical, elitist or superiority complexes. I don't think it's possible to be above everyone in everything.
crzer07

Postby gregzeng on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:01 am

Sorry about the draft post above of the message I intended. If the forum used a higher class of forum software, it would allow me to edit my posts, before or after my posting.

crzer07 wrote:Have multiple language translations on the site. Not just English. That way everyone can read it. Or if this is truly collaborative then it should be a wiki.

We need a new "United Nations". Perhaps after World War 3? The old UN only recognized the one International language - English.

UN used to recognize the one language, which is also own by the international navigation industries. Non English Speaking Background (NESB) people are more numerous then mono-lingual people like myself. My father (Australia's true James Bond international spy) told us kids that we were never to learn any off the hundreds of Chinese languages.

The English language is not copyright, not own by people like me. Most users of the English language are NESBs. English is superior to EVERY other language, ergonomicaly speaking. It is almost phonetically true. It has many "tenses" absent from other simple minded languages (pluperfect, anticipatory, etc.).

In my dying, impoverished years (not decades) that I have left, I'd like to give birth to another baby: English Ergonomics Society - simplifying USA SPELLING more, obliterating the non-metric systems (used by primitive nations like the USA), etc.

English should be taught to NESB students ONLY by NESB graduates. This is the preferred employment by many nations. My interest is is curriculum development, not my old career (of many) of being a teacher.
gregzeng

---------

Next

Return to Brainstorm