Solaren

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Solaren

Postby beneficii on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 am

Wasn't there an entry for Solaren about space-based solar power on FutureTimeline.net for around 2016? What happened to it?
beneficii

Re: Solaren

Postby wjfox2009 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:41 pm

beneficii wrote:Wasn't there an entry for Solaren about space-based solar power on FutureTimeline.net for around 2016? What happened to it?

Yes, I removed it. Somebody who works in the industry sent me a long and detailed email, explaining why the technology was implausible for 2016 and probably won't happen until much later. Mostly to do with cost.
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Re: Solaren

Postby beneficii on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:27 am

wjfox2009 wrote:
beneficii wrote:Wasn't there an entry for Solaren about space-based solar power on FutureTimeline.net for around 2016? What happened to it?

Yes, I removed it. Somebody who works in the industry sent me a long and detailed email, explaining why the technology was implausible for 2016 and probably won't happen until much later. Mostly to do with cost.

Thank you for your response, and I do appreciate the entertaining timeline.

Regarding that, California regulators approved the contract for Solaren, so something should come about, it seems:

I haven't heard anything, though, in about a year and a half about Solaren, which of course is usually a bad sign.
beneficii

---------

Return to The Future