Transcendant Man

Post interesting pics, videos and artwork here.

Transcendant Man

Postby wjfox2009 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am

Italian UFO and myself are seeing the London premiere of this film, tonight at 8pm.

It's being shown at the IMAX cinema in Kensington, and there's a Q & A session afterwards with none other than Ray Kurzweil himself - yes, the world's most famous futurist. 8-)

I'll report back tomorrow on what it was like. Here's the trailer:-

wjfox2009
Site Admin

Re: Transcendant Man

Postby Italian Ufo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I am so excited to see this movie and to see WILL! It is going to be a great night! :mrgreen: :D
Italian Ufo

Postby Saradus on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

No way, Kurzweil's gonna be there?! Wow hope you both have a good night! Look forward to hearing how it went! :)
Saradus

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 pm

I hope its awesome!!
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby crzer07 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 am

Italian Ufo wrote:I am so excited to see this movie and to see WILL! It is going to be a great night! :mrgreen: :D

I hope it's a fun date for the both of you :D
crzer07

Postby Italian Ufo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 am

crzer07 wrote:
Italian Ufo wrote:I am so excited to see this movie and to see WILL! It is going to be a great night! :mrgreen: :D

I hope it's a fun date for the both of you :D

Lol What you mean by date? I am straight 100% just that you know!!

The movie was awesome! I ddnt agree with something He said but overall He said very intresting things. I think we have just to wait and see.
Italian Ufo

Postby wjfox2009 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:50 am

As somebody who's watched tons of Kurzweil interviews on YouTube, read his book, and studied his predictions in detail, there wasn't really much (if anything) that surprised me in this documentary - so I have to say, I found it rather underwhelming.

The subject itself is fascinating, of course. The exponential growth and convergence of artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, computing, genetics and neuroscience... all of which could ultimately lead to a "technological singularity", transforming the Earth in ways we can barely imagine. Computers becoming so intelligent that they regard us like insects. There were some profound and scary concepts discussed in this film.

I still disagree with some of his timings, however. For instance, he reckons we'll cure the ageing process in 15 years, which seems ludicrously optimistic to me. I've no doubt some breakthroughs will be made by then, but for a permanent cure I think 50-60 years is more realistic.

There was a question-and-answer session afterwards, with Ray Kurzweil himself less than 30 feet away from us. It was great to see such a famous person and somebody I really admire.

Good documentary - but I would like to have seen more detailed and convincing arguments for the trends he describes, more focus on the "precursor" technologies leading up to the Singularity, and more discussions about the obstacles we'll face like peak oil, resource wars, climate change, etc. I think it seemed to gloss over these and just assumed that everything would be okay.

Also, there was a bit too much focus on the man himself and his personal life.

My rating: 8/10 overall.
wjfox2009
Site Admin

Postby Italian Ufo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 am

Yes It happens that I agree with WJFOX

This is excatly my though.

8/10 for me as well
Italian Ufo

Postby Wesfky on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 am

wjfox2009 wrote: I still disagree with some of his timings, however. For instance, he reckons we'll cure the ageing process in 15 years, which seems ludicrously optimistic to me. I've no doubt some breakthroughs will be made by then, but for a permanent cure I think 50-60 years is more realistic.

You do realise that he takes 200 pills a day to try to survive to the point where old age is curable. And telling people that its only 15 years way helps him achieve his goal, as people will become educated and except it quicker, and even invest in it as it is safer then something that will happen in 50 years.
Wesfky

---------

Return to Visions