What we will be able to cure by 2020?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby Italian Ufo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 am

what is your guess about that...in what diseases stem cells will be effective?
make some list of some diseases that could be possible have some therapies?

-ligament strain
-intervertebral disc regeneration
-moderate arthities
-erectile dysfanction
-retinal degeneration
.clitorid regeneration
.bones fracture
-drastical improvement for diabetic treatment
-heart failure
.improvment in cancer
.tendons regenration
.wrinkle therapy will start to be more effective
.lungs repair
Italian Ufo
User avatar
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby Azevo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:43 pm

I think by 2020 skin will be able to be regenerated over time on people with severe burns and a like. I don't know how mainstream this would be though, I think medicene will become ridiculously expensive.
Azevo
User avatar
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am
Location: Oh Wellington.

Re: What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby Italian Ufo on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 am

Azevo wrote:I think by 2020 skin will be able to be regenerated over time on people with severe burns and a like. I don't know how mainstream this would be though, I think medicene will become ridiculously expensive.


that is able already now. i hope medicine wont be so expensive rather i hope competition in the biotechnologies market will increase and prices will be dropped?

what you guys think about that?
Italian Ufo
User avatar
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby Prolite on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 am

It would be very hard to determine what will be cured in 20 years from now unless scientists have nearly cured said potential disease, for example AIDS. I think it's fair to say that in the next 20 years, AIDS will either have been cured or about to be. But for such things as Parkinson's disease and other types of cancer we know almost nothing about, FORGET ABOUT IT. And will cancer be cured during this century? It is highly unlikely. The only way to cure cancer during this century is to essentially build a cheap and extremely precise device that can detect ALL possible cancers in your blood long before they become a problem. In addition to that, most cancers will have to have been treatable in their early to mid stages. It is my belief that there are thousands of different types of cancers. Many cancers come about as a result of a mutation in our DNA, and this would preclude that curing cancer during this century would be highly unlikely or impossible. And even if such a device was created, people would still have to buy them and actually use them. This would assume that every person is wildly intimate about their health and longevity. For instance, there's an insurmountable amount of information out there about curtailing cancer, heart disease, and stroke by up to 80%. Of course this percentage is dependent upon numerous variables but nevertheless, eating right, exercise, proper sleep, and not smoking, can prevent most cases of cancer and stroke. But people still do not heed to this advice despite the overwhelming knowledge and technology that's currently available. Next time you're driving by a fast food place, or see people smoking a cigarette, ask yourself: "will future technology ever help these people?" Hell no. People have to help themselves before technology can help them, and that starts with education and a higher standard of living.
Prolite
User avatar
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 am

Re: What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby wjfox2009 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 am

Prolite wrote:It would be very hard to determine what will be cured in 20 years from now unless scientists have nearly cured said potential disease, for example AIDS. I think it's fair to say that in the next 20 years, AIDS will either have been cured or about to be. But for such things as Parkinson's disease and other types of cancer we know almost nothing about, FORGET ABOUT IT. And will cancer be cured during this century? It is highly unlikely. The only way to cure cancer during this century is to essentially build a cheap and extremely precise device that can detect ALL possible cancers in your blood long before they become a problem. In addition to that, most cancers will have to have been treatable in their early to mid stages. It is my belief that there are thousands of different types of cancers. Many cancers come about as a result of a mutation in our DNA, and this would preclude that curing cancer during this century would be highly unlikely or impossible. And even if such a device was created, people would still have to buy them and actually use them. This would assume that every person is wildly intimate about their health and longevity. For instance, there's an insurmountable amount of information out there about curtailing cancer, heart disease, and stroke by up to 80%. Of course this percentage is dependent upon numerous variables but nevertheless, eating right, exercise, proper sleep, and not smoking, can prevent most cases of cancer and stroke. But people still do not heed to this advice despite the overwhelming knowledge and technology that's currently available. Next time you're driving by a fast food place, or see people smoking a cigarette, ask yourself: "will future technology ever help these people?" Hell no. People have to help themselves before technology can help them, and that starts with education and a higher standard of living.


Scientists have already obtained the complete genetic codes for both skin and lung cancer, and are working on other types:




There are breakthroughs being made all the time. Hardly a week goes by without another news story. Follow my links on Twitter and you'll see what I mean. Just this week, for example, a new type of blood test was announced, which is so sensitive that it can spot a single cancer cell among a billion healthy ones:




Image
wjfox2009
Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 pm
Location: London

Re: What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby Italian Ufo on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Finally some medical debate on here! Finally!
Italian Ufo
User avatar
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: What we will be able to cure by 2020?

Postby Prolite on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:30 am

wjfox2009 wrote:
Scientists have already obtained the complete genetic codes for both skin and lung cancer, and are working on other types:




There are breakthroughs being made all the time. Hardly a week goes by without another news story. Follow my links on Twitter and you'll see what I mean. Just this week, for example, a new type of blood test was announced, which is so sensitive that it can spot a single cancer cell among a billion healthy ones:




I've seen that story about the early detection system for Alzheimer's disease. But the scientists said that don't know what detection of this cancer actually means, because we have cancer in our bodies all of the time. I am extremely skeptical. I understand the proof you've given, but that doesn't mean cancer will be cured during this century. And you didn't address the other issue that I raised which is: what do you do with people who don't give a flying turd about their health? They will get cancer even though there may be a cure for cancer. They will increase the cost of healthcare for everyone else. The only thing that's more complex than society is the human brain. But trying telling that to the obese person who's eating McDonalds 5 days a week and is about to die. :twisted:
Prolite
User avatar
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 am
---------


Return to The Future

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron