Will Israel and Turkey join in the EU? what about Russia?

General discussions about future technology and the human race.

Will Israel and Turkey join in the EU? what about Russia?

Postby Italian Ufo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 pm

There is large debate in EU if Turkey and Israel will join the EU. Do you think it will ever happen? and when?

What About Russia?
Italian Ufo

Re: Will Israel and Turkey join in the EU? what about Russia?

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:05 pm

I doubt Russia wants to.
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Nick1984 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Does anyone want the mafia state and former caliphate in the EU?

Not me :x
Nick1984

Postby Azevo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Russia won't in the near future,

Turkey needs to negotiate more of the 35 chapters of the EU acquis before it stands a shot, but Turkey will eventually join the EU.

Israel is uncertain, though I believe it was offered to them a few years back, chances are they'd be denied because of their treatment towards Palestine, but most countries have been comfortable overlooking those sadly.
Azevo

Postby Italian Ufo on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:12 am

I think they will join soon or later.

2020 for Russia

Turkey 2015

Israel 2024

I think they will all join,mostly for military reasons. Turkey economy will increae in the future and will be one of the main energy producers in EU thats why pepole like our prime minister Berlusconi wanted Turkey to join in.

However Turkey has still issues with minor ethicities and respect of human right, especially when it come to imprisonment. Islam believe or not is another issue since conservative groups tend to defend cultural entity of Europe. Main concern is that al Turks will immigrate to Scandianvia or Germany if they open the fronters. But mostly it wont happen. Italy had the same concern, they though a massive immigration would have come from Romania after they join in the EU but it didnt really happen.

Israel has to solve the Palestinian conflict after that they will have great chance to join.

Russia too will be a growing economy and it will be the state that will create a strong military super power in Europe. USA wont longer be the only who address international policy. They wll always be a super power but they will have to deal with other super powers. EU and China ( recently is creating and tranning Chinese Marines)

I will tell you more later Russia will join in NATO too. It sounds bizarre but they talked about it years ago already. They have to solve the problems with Georgia first which is already part of NATO.
Italian Ufo

Postby crzer07 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 am

i am abit edgy about Israel and Turkey being in the EU, especially Israel. I never thought about Israel being in the EU, it's kind of random.
crzer07

Postby Italian Ufo on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:05 am

crzer07 wrote:i am abit edgy about Israel and Turkey being in the EU, especially Israel. I never thought about Israel being in the EU, it's kind of random.

This is a debate that has been going on for years now!

From Wikipidia;

EU membership for IsraelAlthough Israel is not located in Europe, it considers itself culturally part thereof.[14] This perception is widely shared in Europe (This situation is similar to that of Cyprus, which is already an EU member state). Israel thus is a member in many European transnational federations and frameworks and takes part in many European sporting events.[15] Various Israeli ministers have expressed that they would like to see Israel in the EU. The Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who visited Israel in February 2010, said that his "greatest desire" was to see Israel join the European Union.[16] The European Union's High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy, Javier Solana, stated in 2009 that Israel had a very significant relationship with the EU, amounting almost to de facto membership through participation in the EU's programmes.[17]

[edit] Opposition to links with Israel in EUEuropean Union foreign ministers welcomed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's conditional endorsement of a future Palestinian state in June 2009, but said it was not enough to raise EU-Israel ties to a higher level and questioned the conditions set for backing a Palestinian state and Netanyahu's defence of Jewish settlements.

The EU wants a firm commitment from Israel to seek a two-state peace accord. Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn said "We must say quite clearly today there can only be talk of an upgrade when the peace process is on its way, and for that we need a few steps more" and Finnish Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb said Netanyahu's moves were not sufficient for the EU to upgrade ties with Israel. French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said it was "not sufficient" and "stopping of the settlements is essential". Sweden took over the EU presidency in July 2009, but its Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said Netanyahu's words were good but "only a first step".[18]

[edit] Further reading
Italian Ufo

Postby ExplorerAtHeart on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:20 am

Israel is not even in Europe..
ExplorerAtHeart

Postby Italian Ufo on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38 am

ExplorerAtHeart wrote:Israel is not even in Europe..

In fact the entrance of Israel in the EU has to do mostly with its cultural relation to Europe. Jews have been for very long part of the EU. Rome has the oldest jewish community for example.

Cyprus possibly is not geographically in Europe but it is related to the culture. In any case there are many territories that are part of the EU and not located in the continent. Guyana is an example,Canaries and some islands in the pacific too.

I think the possibility offered to Israel by the EU to join in the community has also a form of "courtesy" for the persecution they had in WWII and back in other days as well. It is strange but i think thats how pepole regard at it still.

However if they Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not solved the entrance of Israel would be impossible. The EU wont ever charge themself of such complicated issue.
Italian Ufo

Postby Nick1984 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Aren't there a few islands in the Americas that are EU members?

Russia will never join, no one wants to be controlled by Putin.
Nick1984

---------

Next

Return to The Future